• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Parking brake issue, '98 Ranger

YZ250Rider23

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys.
I've got a 98 ranger, 2WD. I've got an annoying problem with my parking brake. Every time it is applied it kinda hangs up after it's released. Now this is where things get odd. Every single part in the system has been replaced. New shoes, drums, springs, all the cables (including the front one, which is a total pain). The only parts that have not been replaced is the parking brake bar and lever (the parts that actuate the brake inside of the drum). My truck has one of the self adjusting pedal assemblies (which I absolutly loath), and it is well lubed and seems to work smoothly. When I release the brake, there seems to be a little tension in the cable, if I reach under and give the cable a pull, that seems to help the problem alot. I would just deal with it, but it's a little embarresing on a date "hey, that's not a bad looking truck", "thanks, hey hold on for a minute while I hang out the door and yank my cable". Any ideas?

arkantor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
I know my spring on the peddle itself is getting weak so I have to manually pull the peddle up. Did you adjust the brakes after you put them in? Drive in reverse and stop a few times this will adjust the brakes.

YZ250Rider23

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, I did adjust the new brakes after installing them. I used to have the problem with the pedal not coming all the way back up, and that was actually caused by weak springs on the rear parking brake cables. With all the cables replaced the pedal pops right back up like it should. I'm starting to think that the tension on the self adjuster spring inside of the pedal assembly may be too high. I hope not, because it's a pain to adjust. Although I can't imagine that the tension would have been adjusted previously, as I am the second owner, and the first owner didn't bother with such trivial things like parking brake cables or U-joints...

YZ250Rider23

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
No other ideas?

B4&After

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Sounds to me that you did not reset the tension on the e brake pedal.

See this link:http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/0d/c4/44/0900823d800dc444/repairInfoPages.htm.

Now hoping you can help me out.

I just bought my 1998 B4000 ( same as ranger) and the front cable was disconnected from the e-brake pedal.

I have installed the "knob" on the end of the cable where I think it should go, but it keeds falling out.

Can you tell be if there is a clip or something that is supposed to hold the end of the cable on to the mechanism?
I can't find anything on the net, or in my manual.

I'm stumped.:pissedoff:

Thanks

Len

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals