• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

83 Ford Ranger

Ranger8378

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hey all..Im new to this site and in particular with Rangers..My question this morning is on my truck I have 205/75R15...I definitely would like to upgrade to bigger tires with more tread on them..It will be my daily driver, but occasionaly will be on trails..What is the biggest I can go without body lift? And I guess my other question, what is the recommended size if I was to do at least a 2 inch lift? Thank you in advance for your ideas/suggestions.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Before my bodylift I ran (and I guess still run) 235/75-15's on my Ranger, they fill up the wheel wells really nice and are a super common tire size. Really from a looks standpoint I think they are what should have came on them stock.

I don't know if a 2" will let you fit much bigger, a 3" will let you fit 31's. But even with a 3" bodylift my 235/75-15 mud tires don't look too undersized.

The biggest factor in how they work aside from wheel well clearance is gearing, if you have 3.08 gears you won't like tires any bigger than what you have now. There should be axle code on your doorjamb sticker or on your differential itself that will tell you what you have, there is a chart in the tech library that goes thru what works best for each tire size.

Ranger8378

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
thanks for the great advice..last question..the 235's you had on your truck were on stock wheels?..

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
thanks for the great advice..last question..the 235's you had on your truck were on stock wheels?..
White sport wheels, a extra $88 option from the factory. I think they are 6" wide if that matters any. The picture is after my body lift, but they are still 235's. My rear springs are kinda saggy, it borderline looks goofy if you level it with the airshocks, and looks really strange if you use them to put the factory rake back in it.

Last edited:

Insanejughead

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
RBV's on Boost
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94, '86
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
Looks great to me. Then again, I'm biased towards those old Gen 1 rangers.

I put 235/75/15's on my ranger and I get a rubbing issue with the plastic inner fender. I do have different wheels on it, and I've come to realize that it's the offset is the cause of that.

I'm going to go back to my 225/70/14's so I don't get a really bad rub after I drop it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals