• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Psychopete's Build Thread

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I've been working on and off on my '87 and decided to finally start a build thread. I am in the process now of still tearing it all apart. I work on it almost every weekend for a couple hours at a time, so this is going to take a really long time to get done.

Here is my truck:

It's was a 2.0L with manual everything (brakes, power steering, windows, transmission etc). My red '88 was starting to rust out really bad, and someone had this one for sale for $570 and looked to be in better shape.

The first phase of this project is going to be cleaning up the front and installing drop beams. I just had new HD ball joints installed in the beams. Radius arm bushings, steering linkages, etc all need replaced.

The second phase is going to be painting the truck. Right now I am thinking silver, but I haven't made up my mind yet. The firewall/underhood is going to be painted the same color as the truck. The interior is getting painted black. The bed is going to get lined.

Third phase will be installing my V8 engine from my red truck into this one, and I am going to go with a T-5 instead of an AOD. I still have yet to get the T-5.

Then finally getting the rear end of the truck under control will be one of the lasts steps once I know where the front is with the engine installed.

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
The engine starting knocking, and burned a bunch of oil; I had let a friend of mine use my crane and engine stand to put his 5.0L back into his Fairmont, but he never got it all back in. Soooo I ended up disassembling the whole engine in the chasis and lifting it out (I am missing a lot of pics ??):

The #3 ring was busted and trashed the piston. I can say that taking a pan off with the engine in is a big waste of time and a huge effort. :)

When I took the heater box out, I found this:

:(

But the person that's painting this for me said it's going to be easier to fix this, than my Red one with rotted out cab corners. The firewall on that truck is perfect, I can't win.

Suspension is ripped out:

^^ I think that's shot

Interior is out so that the rust can be fixed.

Since I don't need/have/want A/C, I am bouncing around ideas to sheet metal the whole heater box crap on the firewall and putting inside of the cab.

Last edited:

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I have had these 16" centerlines for a long time, a friend of mine had some 2 week old BF GeForces tires he needed to get rid of; he bought them in the middle of winter for his D/D and they are summer tires. So I bought them and had them mounted onto my rims.

The engine out of my red truck:

Going to try tri-ys, I used Hedman 89500s last time.

Just worked some crazy hours the past month, and got a bonus on this weeks check. I made some deals with a body shop to a) store my truck in their shop and use their tools b) get me a transmission through a junk yard cheaper than they would normally sell it to someone off the street. My side of the deal will be done this weekend, so hopefully I will getting a transmission in the next few weeks.

Last edited:

jhammel85

Looks good so far. That heaterbox is what mine probably looks like since i know I have some rust along the top.

I agree with your painter though...That's not too horrible since it's a flat area.

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Only update is that I've removed the master cylinder, brake lines, clutch master cylinder, and the access plates. Removed seat belts and other various stuff. Hood latch is out of the way, I left off on the parking brake cable. Cleaned out the cowl and removed the inside door panels, cleaned out the bottom of the doors. Sure hope I can remember how everything goes back together lol

Winter got me and I didn't get much done. My engine is in front of my heater (old school gas furnace), and I didn't want to run it and cause a bunch of condensation. My engine hoist and engine stand have been over at a friend's house, so I can't move it. He's going to be borrowing his uncle's Ranger so I can dee off a pile a scrap that's been building in my garage and to bring those tools back to me.

Just ordered new springs, inner/outer tie rod end, drag link, and radius arm bushings. Weather is getting warmer and I am getting an itch to get this done, but I would be happy if I had just the body ready to install the engine over the next winter. Free time and money are scarce anymore =/

Should have most of the stuff to get the front end back together to get it into the body shop once I get things cleaned up. Pretty sure the game plan is to sheet metal off the blower motor holes (retaining the drain, no easy way to get around that) and modifying the HVAC to run a blower motor inside of the cab since this is a summer vehicle and it's not going to have A/C. I still have my Red '88 dash still intact that I can mock up a few things to figure out I am going to pull that off.

Last edited:

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
An update without pictures? You monster!

Glad to see you are still working on this, should be a sick little truck when you're done.

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
I remember seeing that truck in person.

Sub'd

Sent from my rooted SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

veefer800canuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Tri-Y headers are great for midrange torque. For a daily driver, you'll love them.

I hope they fit.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals