• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

can't get drum off

mccrob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
broke the bleeder on one back break need to get the drum off to get to the cylinder.It's not coming,is there a trick to theses ford,this is my first,is there some way to back the brakes off,i believe my rear end is off a '89 so the brakes are probaly the same.

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
There is a small plug on the bottom of the backing plate. Pull the plug out and use a brake tool or flat screwdriver to release the pressure on the adjuster wheel. This will retract the shoes and it should come off. You will have to make a few turns though.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
This does work, but it's a bit awkward if you've never done it before; you have to do it by feel. There are some nice photos in the Haynes book.

If this is part of a brake job and you can get the drum started off, you can whack it the rest of the way off with a hammer. You may very well tear up the brake shoes or bend hardware when you do this.

90rangersuper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
when i did the brakes on my 90 ranger the drivers side came right off but on the passenger side i had to loosen the pads like Jspafford said, that little cable in there broke, causing it not to adjust and that adjuster rusted, it was a real b**ch getting mine off but it eventually came

mccrob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
which way do I turn to loosen it

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
push the little arm in with a small flat blade and turn the adjuster wheel down.

unless its on backwards and set up manual.

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
Transmission
Manual
After you get it off, grind off the little ridge of rust and steel that has formed on the edge of the drum that makes it such a bitch to get off.

gettle03FX4LevelII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4 Leve
Transmission
Manual
if all else fails get a bigger hammer lol you do some times need to use a dead blow hammer they tend to get a little rusty. If after you release with the adjuster take a dead blow hammer and bang around the entire drum and it should help break it loose.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
If you're not sure what way to turn the adjuster, use a screwdriver and push down on the teeth in the gear...if you hear a click click click as you do that then you are tightening the brakes (adjusting them outward)...and then you just use another screwdriver to lift the lock and turn the adjuster the other way to release the pressure on the shoes...

You didn't mention left or right side, but the adjusters are designed so that the long end is facing toward the front of the vehicle...and one threads right and the other left...to push the shoes outwards...but if I can recall correctly, they both tighten by pushing the gear upwards...so to loosen them you need to move them downwards...

If not, vice versa...

I had to use a sledge hammer on my Tempo to remove one drum...but it did eventually come off...have fun!

mccrob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
if any one needs to know,save trial and error,push up on adjuster to tighten brakes to get drum off,I just got lazy and was hoping some one would tell me before I went at it

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals