• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Aftermarket Headlights

twxsby

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You know those blue tinted headlights that claim to be brighter, don't buy them, and if you have them, change back. I bought a pair of these thinking it would brighten my world. After about 6 months, I started having intermittent problems wiht my headlights. I changed the switch, even bought a new hi beam switch. Wacky problems: my low beams only worked when I pulled the "flash to pass" lever, high beams went bye bye all together... Turns out, those Blue Xenon or whatever they called em were hotter, and melted away inside the light bulb itself, so I was getting crossed wires, shorts etc.
Thought you might like to know.

CraigK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I had the same experience with H4 bulbs (not on my Bronco II though). I bought some inexpensive high wattage "blue xexon" bulbs (they just had a blue tint to the glass!). What crap! They were actually less bright (turns out its not the watts that count), and soon blew both highs and lows, both bulbs. I returned them to JC Whitney for full credit. Then I bought a set of Sylvania Silver Stars. Nice and bright and white.

CraigK

gotmudd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
390C.I
Transmission
Automatic
if they are the "plug in type "and you touched the glass part of the bulb, your "body oil transfered" to the glass. not sure why but it creates havoc with bulbs

KELLY88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 2005
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
if they are the "plug in type "and you touched the glass part of the bulb, your "body oil transfered" to the glass. not sure why but it creates havoc with bulbs
He's right, the oil from your skin creates some kind of internal reflection deal which will incinerate the bulbs pretty fast. I bought a cheap set of HID bulbs and installed them wearing a pair of gloves. Doubled the brightness and never had any melting issues or anything.

CraigK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Yes. I know this.

I can assure you, my fingers did not touch these bulbs. They are crap. If you don't believe it, buy a set and try them.

twxsby

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I too know this, and was wearing latex gloves. When I was at the dealer buying (2) new pigtails, he asked me if I had been using the blue tinted lamps, like he has sold them to many others before me. That was the reason I posted this.
As far as being HID, BS. HID lights have there own remote ballasts, and it's not as simple as changing lamps. It's about an $800 process to convert to HID, and is illegal unless it came from the factory. I also got mine from JC Whitney, and they had no problem refunding my money, like they knew it was going to happen from the beginning.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals