• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Location of drain hose?

reno

Reaction score
I was looking for my drain hose for the A/C, but can't seem to find it. So I started the truck, ran the A/C on Max to make it drip, I seen some dripping,but that was coming from the box cover where the evaporator\heater core\Fan is at. Where is the drain line at on a 93 Ranger 4wd?

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
It's on the firewall right below that box. Maybe that's what you saw?

reno

Reaction score
That is where I figured it should be, but no, the water dripping was from the front of the box (the back would be at the firewall). Not to worried about it now, I have been reading my book I bought and have reviewed the DVD twice, to get ready to check out this system once my manifold gauges arrive.

Hey Makg, how do I tell what oil is in the system? I noticed this was a R-12, but now is R134A, just want to make sure the former owner did not just fix a simple leak, then goto Wal-mart, buy a conversion kit, and of ya go. We know what will happen if the 2 different oils are mixed. I have not been running the system until I check it out, yesterday was the first time in a month. And what is the easiest way to change the oil from the Compressor?

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
There is no way to tell what oil is in the system if it doesn't say on the retrofit sticker.

If there is no retrofit sticker, get the sucker flushed. As you have surmised, you don't know what crap the PO put in there.

Ester and PAG oil are compatible; no worries. Ester and mineral (R-12) oil are also compatible. PAG and mineral oil aren't.

There really is only one way to drain oil from the compressor. Remove it and put it butt-down in a reasonably clean pan, and turn the hub by hand until the oil stops coming out. DO NOT flush a compressor.

Whenever opening the system, change the orifice tube and receiver/drier. Often, the tube catches a sample of goop circulating in the system (such as old stop-leak or bits of compressor) that might clue you into a latent problem. Should be nice and clean.

You'll need an electric vacuum pump. Check Craigslist. I got one for $30 that way. The venturi type pumps are useless and will work your air compressor very hard.

NEVER just top off the system. You will almost certainly overcharge it, and whatever is leaking will continue to leak. Similarly, never use stop-leak.

reno

Reaction score
I was given a Venturi type, will have to check craigslist. I know how costly it can be to run the Venturi pump. Might even look for a cheap refrigerator or freezer just to steal the pump from it, solder the correct fitting on the suction side, then Viola! a vacuum pump.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
If you "make" a vacuum pump, it must be capable of at least 24.5 inches vacuum at your altitude (29.5 inches at sea level). That a refrigerator might be able to do this is not at all obvious. Seals in that compressor are designed for pressure, not vacuum.

If it will only do a few inches, you can't tell if your system is leaking and you won't boil off remaining water. I.e., you're wasting your time.

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l durasparked rice killer
Transmission
Manual
3cfm professional pumps run about $300 new in the box and give years of service.also you can check pawn shops,i've seen them from time to time.

i've done the small refer compressor deal and it's not worth it,as mike said,won't be adequate.

94Rangerfcb

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Where exactly is the drain?

I had my AC fixed for the season. It cools great. I never see any water dripping under the truck. And it smells a little musty.

Mine also leaks from the front of the evaporator. Is it just a hole close to the firewall? Any drain tube?

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l durasparked rice killer
Transmission
Manual
Where exactly is the drain?

I had my AC fixed for the season. It cools great. I never see any water dripping under the truck. And it smells a little musty.

Mine also leaks from the front of the evaporator. Is it just a hole close to the firewall? Any drain tube?
yes,should be a rubber drain tube on lower fire wall passenger side.look between engine and a/c box down low.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals