• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Manual Transmissions

PureWater

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Manual Transmissions

Where is a question I have been wondering for along time, and its come time to find a TRUE answers for it.
Auto vs. Manual
I’m looking into buy a NEW Ranger, more then likely a V6, 3.0L and I personally have always had an automatic, why I’m not sure.
Now I know that this is a relatively open ended question. But I have read in a number of different posts (not necessarily here) that Manuals are cheaper to maintain is this true and how does someone come to this conclusion?? Seems a little asinine to me.
I question that because any web forums I visit seem to be loaded with people having problems with manual transmission and yet they still seem to preach about how wonderful manuals are.

So what’s the deal????

Simple_serf

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Well, I have always had good luck with manuals, and very poor luck with automatics. manuals are generally simpler, and if you take care of them, the wearing parts seem to last a long time. Most RBV autos suck (The good ones haven't been in a ranger for over 20 years). The newer ones are all based on the a4ld, which is a POS.

Yes, it is going to be cheaper to maintain a manual vs an auto. Why? Because a few quarts of fluid is all you have to use to maintain it. an auto usually requires alot more fluid as well as a filter and sometimes a gasket kit. (Yes I know I am making some generalizations here).

Most people's experiences seem to be that where you kill a clutch with a manual, you kill the whole trans with an auto.

Can you tell I prefer manual transmissions?

(btw...many people will say that a 3.0 is better with a manual, as the auto has a tendency to shift too low for that motor)

PureWater

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the Reply Simple_Serf.

Even with that being said, My old man has an 1996 F150 with over 300Km Mom has an 1998 Explorer with over 200Km, I have a 1986 Tempo with over 200Km. All them have never had any transmissions problems at all, and all are Auto. Now I'm not comparing them to the Ranger but again I'm just trying to understand what the big deal is with Manual. A lot of people just say it comes down to a personal choice and that’s it but does it?
I have seen some people go from Manual then buy an Auto but I have never seem to many go the other way.

Lets put it this way. I'm not one to lay on my back under my truck trying to work on a clutch, I have to much going on and I need my vehicle to get me around. So if something goes wrong its more then likely going to the shop.
I don't know any more... hmmm.... its an added $1400 for the auto, but I don't want to find myself sitting here on the computer reading posts trying to figure out whats going and why I don't have Rev. or my 1st gear is slipping.

TireIron

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
well think about it this way, if your clutch goes its about 400 or so american to have it replaced, if your auto dies, its about 2000 to have it replaced... also if you happen to break something actually in the manual tranmission they can be had in junk yards for 300 bucks in perfect condition.

All it really comes down to though is personal preference. If you tend to feel lazy and just want to drive it then go for an auto. If you really enjoy driving and have fun controlling the vehicle then go for a manual. Just know that if you get a manual you will HAVE to shift it yourself no matter how tired or lazy you are feeling.

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
my cousin had a 99 ranger on 31's with a 3.0l and 4 speed auto.he went through 2 overdrive trannies while it was under warranty and got rid of it before it broke down when the warranty was up.i've been easily twice as hard on my 5 speed ranger without it quitting on me.if you get an auto truck gear it real low to take stress off it or be very easy on it and change the fluid/filter every 50,000.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
You speak about 200,000 km like it's a lot. It's not.

My Prizm has 265,000 miles. That's about 325,000 km.

There is no really good RBV automatic transmission. There never has been (honestly, the fully mechanical C4 is very overrated, and every last one of them is painfully old). There is one pretty good RBV manual transmission, used in everything after 1990, and some models after 1987.

Does that make your decision for you?

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
I have to agree... I bought my fiancee a 1999 Ranger with the 3.0L and it has the auto. I can put the pedal to the pavement and the truck will still not go about 3500 rpm before it shifts. It is barely breathing heavy and it's in 4th already. Seems sluggish once it leaves first.

I have never driven a 3.0L with a stick, but I imagine it would be much more... well.. fun.

My 1989 B2 came with a FM-146. What a POS, I bought a remanufactured M5OD from AllanD and he delivered it to me. What a difference. I have towed way more than I should and it is still quiet as a new truck. It is sometimes notchy going into 2nd, but from what I hear it's normal.

When you kill an auto it costs thousands for a new one, rebuilt ones usually suck!

The only way to kill a manual is to run it dry on fluid, or if you just flat out don't know how to drive it.

I can change a clutch in 5 hours and only cost me $120 bucks. I wouldn't dare touch an automatic.

I only wish my F-250 was a 6-speed.

PureWater

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
ok so then why are web forums full of people having problems with their Manual Transmissions??
I'm not asking to be rude in any way, I just don't get it?

MARK96SVT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I bought mine with a manual for better MPG's and more control over the vehicle. Manuals are generally more reliable, simple fluid changes. The only problem i've had with a manual trans is a squeaky throwout bearing, and that is a common problem on my 96 cobra.

You say there are forums full of people with manual trans problems, there are just as many if not more that are full of automatic problems. :icon_thumby:

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
ok so then why are web forums full of people having problems with their Manual Transmissions??
I'm not asking to be rude in any way, I just don't get it?
Most people who search online for a forum or message board is because they need help. Hence the reason why when you go to most message boards all the people are complaining about problems and asking for help.

Just think of how many thousands of these same transmissions 'the whole forum is complaining about' are still out in use everyday without a single issue.

That is like going to the Better Business Bureau and assuming since a couple thousand businesses are shady, that EVERY businesss is shady.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
yep. I am a truck driver and have seen 13spd transmissions with 2 million miles on them with out an overhaul. as with any part on a 4wd that gets road hard and put away wet will break parts. the clutch on a manual is like a fuse. and Automatic has no fuse. If you are abusing the clutch and burn it up then you just replace the clutch. If you abuse an automatic and burn it up.... you replace the tranny and torque converter. I have a Suburban waiting on a $3000 dollar transmission. my landCruiser needs a $260 dollar Clutch ....... which do you think will get fixed first?

4x4RangerGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Subaru
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I just completed a manual transmission swap on my 98 3.0 4x4, and I can't believe I ever put up with the automatic to begin with.

I have had nothing but bad luck with my auto (4R44E), it's gone through 1 rebuild, and was slipping when I removed it. They shift WAY too early on the 3.0, and they can't decide what gear they want to be in.

The M5OD I swapped in this summer has opened up my 3.0 like you wouldn't believe. It's faster, way more fun, and I feel in control of my truck. If you're gonna get the 3.0, get the manual. You won't regret it.

HAPPY_RANGER_GUY

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Look at it this way...the majority of people having trouble with Auto transmissions are going to go to the shop for a fix, or simply dump the vehicle. Many people with Manual transmission problems are going to go after the repair on their own and thus posting for help / advice on the forums. This could explain some of what you observed. Yeah, given the cost difference up front and potential cost savings in the long haul, I stick with manuals.

T.

philS

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
There are very few benefits to an auto, other than ease of operability (depending on the driver) and ease of re-sale (depending on the vehicle).

Manuals are cheaper to buy, cheaper to repair, lighter, quicker, more fun to drive, get better gas mileage, etc.

philS

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
And towing is another bennie for autos.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals