• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Gas Guzzlers

human5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

jetcjcski

July STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Automatic
Please don't be knockin on the E85

merc2dogs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
explorer sport
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Why not?

For most vehicles it costs more per mile to use, and provides less power.

from experience I know that running 'pure' gasoline nets me better mileage and more power than running the alchohol/gas blend you get at most pumps up here now. Difference is roughly 2mpg. I keep a list and write down mileage, cost per gallon, and amount of fuel with each fill up, so Know the mpg very well.

Ken.

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
besides having less energy per gallon than gas it puts pressure on the food market and encourages more industrial corn farming(pesticides,fertilizers,and other pollution).i don't know why so many people back east think that crap is the way of the future

jetcjcski

July STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Automatic
Why not?

For most vehicles it costs more per mile to use, and provides less power.

from experience I know that running 'pure' gasoline nets me better mileage and more power than running the alchohol/gas blend you get at most pumps up here now. Difference is roughly 2mpg. I keep a list and write down mileage, cost per gallon, and amount of fuel with each fill up, so Know the mpg very well.

Ken.
Definitely less mpg, thats a known fact. Sometimes it can equal out in price, normally it doesn't. Some vehicles get close to the same on E85 as they do one regular (E10 here in MN). I'm not sure why that is.

Less power? No way. Ethanol is an oxygenated fuel which means it needs less air to burn cause theres already oxygen in it. Whats keeping your truck from making more power? The amount of air it can suck in. E85 needs less, therefore more power.

Some people say its noticeable, others say its negligible. I don't know I've never had a Flex Fuel vehicle.

besides having less energy per gallon than gas it puts pressure on the food market and encourages more industrial corn farming(pesticides,fertilizers,and other pollution).i don't know why so many people back east think that crap is the way of the future

Sure E85 costs makes your food cost a little more, its not raising the price nearly as much as the rising price of oil is.

-Chris

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
I've got a flex fuel ranger.... Now if they would just start selling it somewhere in my area I would try it out!

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I've got a flex fuel ranger.... Now if they would just start selling it somewhere in my area I would try it out!
i'd bet krogers will start carrying it soon. how many kroger gas stations do you have down there? i know of atleast 3 or 4 in toledo that carry E85

97BlackBetty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Less power? No way. Ethanol is an oxygenated fuel which means it needs less air to burn cause theres already oxygen in it. Whats keeping your truck from making more power? The amount of air it can suck in. E85 needs less, therefore more power.

-Chris
Oxygen plays a very small role in this, What makes up the difference in power is the number of BTU's a specific fuel can create, and how much oxygen is needed to obtain a proper mixture to obtain the most BTU's. I could go on a big long rant about the optimum amount of BTU's and what losses need to be factored but im not gonna. Fact of the matter is, if E85 cannot obtain the number of BTU's that pure gasoline will, then it is not as efficient.

Jspafford

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
The truck only gets like 11mpg anyway, so it wouldn't hurt to try.

Stupid 3.0!

They just built one right around the corner from me. I will have to get my gun and go check it out.

shadetree

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Explorer Sport
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Energy of ethanol is around 75k BTU, gasoline 120. Much less energy. That is why there is a mileage difference. The ethanol does have a much higher octane rating however, and this will allow a higher compression ratio which will compensate for some of the lost power. shady

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
Damn. I'm one of those idiots back east that thought E85 was the way of the future.

There has to be another option besides the oil company's.

Jspafford

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
No, I get 11 mpg with the 3.0L running pure gasoline.

I don't have any idea why the mileage sucks so bad. I am lucky to get over 140 miles before it gets under 1/4 a tank.

POS.

Shoeboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chrysler
Engine Size
2.4L
Transmission
Manual
I'm looking for another Ranger or Explorer or anything else but this Dakota, I worked out my mileage and I'm getting approximately 6.5miles/gallon, why wasn't my vehicle in that list of gas hogs. My truck gets worse mileage then a Hummer H2. I'm desperate to get something that costs less, like a Taurus, or Ranger, or Crown Vic...Or even an H2 (kidding).

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm looking for another Ranger or Explorer or anything else but this Dakota, I worked out my mileage and I'm getting approximately 6.5miles/gallon, why wasn't my vehicle in that list of gas hogs. My truck gets worse mileage then a Hummer H2. I'm desperate to get something that costs less, like a Taurus, or Ranger, or Crown Vic...Or even an H2 (kidding).
its all about how u drive it aswell, when im driving like i normally drive, with my ranger lifted on the old 33" bogger i would get on average about 13mpg, if i babied it i could squeeze out 20mpg on this e85 shit vs 15mp and 23 on regualr gasoline.....sorry its late and i dont feel like correcting anyhting

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals