• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

handling issue, stock '97

john112deere

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997/2009
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 / 4.0
Transmission
Manual
I've got a '97 Ranger, 2wd, with about 247k on the clock. 4-cyl, XLT, sprung pretty low and soft since it was new.

Lately (it's been getting worse for a while now) it's been handling almost scary-bad on the interstate at times, usually in cross-winds, and it also has crappy tracking and bad on-center feel at all speeds.

I've been over everything in the steering and suspension a couple times, and everything feels tight.

I'm starting to suspect a bad belt in one of the front tires, so right now I've got them on the back, and my studded snow tires on the front (not a good long-term solution, obviously). That improved the highway handling a little, but it's still got crappy tracking and on-center feel in the steering.

What it feels like to me is too little toe-in, though a couple shops have checked it and said it's fine.

Can I just crank the toe in a little bit myself, see if it improves? And, perhaps more importantly, can I just undo it by the same amount and be back where I was before I started if I'm not happy with the results?

Thanks!

I'd really appreciate any suggestions other than tires, or better ways to check for a bad tire, on the whole thing, too. It's still safe to drive, but I don't like it, and I'm very frustrated that I can't figure out what's wrong with this truck.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
have you checked your radius arm bushings? when these go bad, they allow your caster, chamber, and toe to go out of spec. and can cause all kinds of fun issues.

you can dial the toe in a little if you'd like, just count the turns you make on each adjusting sleeve (i wouldnt go more than 2-3 turns if the truck is already supposedly in alignment)) and make sure you turn them both back the same number of turns when your done. adjusting both sides the same number of turns should keep your steering wheel centered. just make sure you keep a very close eye on tire wear when you do this...excessive toe will cause the tires to feather and wear on the outside edge.

the easiest way to check for a bad tire is to jack the truck up and spin the tire while you watch the tread for wobbles/out of round.

john112deere

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997/2009
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 / 4.0
Transmission
Manual
The radius arms "look" OK, but I've never really understood how I was supposed to check them. Best idea I've had was to put a jack under the arm just in front of the bushing and see what happens as I lift it up, but I don't know if that would work. Any tips?

I'll have to look at my tires more closely sometime soon, too, maybe see if I can get a buddy to look, too- more eyes is always better.

I think I'm gonna dial that toe in just a little- I've been thinking for a long time that felt a bit off, and now that there's something else going on, I think it's just making it that much worse.

Thanks!

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
the radius arm bushings are just a visual inspection. its usually pretty obvious when they are bad. if you wanted to, you could take the large nut and rearmost bushing off the back to get a good veiw of the inner bushing (the one that actually supports the rad. arm).

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals