• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

89-92 2wd Ranger 2" lift 'glass fenders tire fitment

trailblazr81

Reaction score
On a 2wd Ranger (89-92) with say 2.5" lift and fiberglass fenders how big of a tire can I fit? I would re-gear to help move the larger rubber. I am currently looking at a couple 2wd 5 speed extra cabs. Want to go the pre runner route and run 33's but a trick suspension is out of the current price range. Later on down the road I would like to add a good long travel suspension.

Last edited:

canyoncritter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Willys,Ford,Jee
Transmission
Manual
30-31's..problem is the tires are going to run in the firewall at bump.you could STUFF 33's in there, but its going to be as use full offroad as a lowrider.and the lowrider may pass you going over speed bumps.

for the price of levling springs and glass fenders your about at the price of a econo style bent beam kit.(look around you can find them used for 250ish-300range)then your truck would be usefull with 31-32's off road.with a little triming (reshapeing)of the fenders and massaging the firewall seams. just my thoughts

trailblazr81

Reaction score
I was thinking a 31" tire myself. But I read something online by off-road magazine about them putting glass fenders on a stock 4wd of same body style and running 33's with no rubbing. They removed stock bumper and inner fender wells and flattened the seems on the cab firewall. So I was hoping with a 2" lift I could do the same.

Here is the article : http://ford.off-road.com/ford/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=199135

Last edited:

canyoncritter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Willys,Ford,Jee
Transmission
Manual
good ol project prerunner.....wish they would have finished the build.Or atlest left the old pics up......

I know they say the truck is stock, but i think what they mean its it had the stock stx highrider brackets on that truck. and that gives it anouther 2inches of lift.and that would be aprx 4inches higher then a 2wd. I cant say they do for a fact, but I would say 80% chance on the highrider brackets.

Im sure you could get 33's STUFFED in there but your not going to have much up travel unless you "tub" the firewall.

back in the day, when I had a 87 2wd ranger I had a bent beam kit on it, fenders all cut out and 31's would just catch the fire wall at full bump

And to clear 33's on a old 7s ranger I use to be involved with basicaly a stock truck all caged up good shocks bent beams glass fenders all the way around, to clear 33's with full bump the fire wall had to be "tubed"

but I guess if you limited your up travel to next to nothing you could keep the 33's from rubbing and grinding.but its going to ride like ass.

1 4.0l ranger hopefully it will have 3.73's use you glass money for a used bent beam kit ,throw some 31;s on it(with 3.73s a good running 4.0l 5spd wont be all that bad) use your regear money for some good leaf springs.(for a desert truck I would not put money in to the ranger 8.8,maybe the explorer 8.8,but would prefer a 9inch.) add what ever shocks your wallet can afford, bump and strap so you dont rip apart your shocks. decent working truck for not much money and most of it you can use as you upgrade, and what you cant has a resale vaule......

trailblazr81

Reaction score
OK, so I gues I'll go with 31's. Tho all the trucks Ive looked at so far are 3.0 and 4 bangers. So I probly will still have to re-gear. But Im still looking. Maybe I can find a 4.0, or if I find a 93-96 for the right price I'll jump on it.

RaceRanger97

April 2009 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Your gunna need about a 5 inch lift if you want to do any actual off-roading in it... mine has about a 5.5 inch lift with glass and I still rub when landing the big jumps.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals