• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Gibson on '08 Sport Trac

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
Finally had a minute of spare time to get my Gibson exhaust on my '08 this morning. Still cold and wet so I took it to my friend's shop where we had a lift. Saved a bunch of time.

Things we learned:

* There is a split and a clamp directly above the LR halfshaft, same spot as the Gibson system, so you can take the tailpipe out.
* The mid pipe and muffler still won't come out without cutting. It might on a 4x2 but no way to get the pipe around the t-case on a 4x4 to pull it forward far enough or get it below the crossmember to get the rear out over the axle.
* At least on my V6 there is an unused hanger support on the frame near the front. The Gibson system has another hanger bracket on it at that spot (the OE system did not), but my bud had a spare rubber hanger laying around so we put it on. Possibly it is used on a V8 Trac, I dunno.
* All the Gibson hanger brackets line up perfectly. Needed to twist the muffler a bit to get the tailpipe away from the rear diff. It didn't touch but it was close.
* Important...the OE mid pipe bolts (the flexy ones with the springs) do not fit the Gibson flange, the shoulder is too long. We reused the OE donut and my bud had some shorter bolts and springs. You need a little flex at that connection to allow for engine movement.
* I took someone's advice and painted the system and clamps with silver high temp paint. Scrubbed it all with Dawn to get the oil off then roughed it up with #400 sandpaper.
* We had a lift so that made it easy, the whole thing took about 45 minutes to do. At home laying on my back it would probably take half a day and trip or two to the parts store.
* It's not loud but has a nice rumble. A bit loud inside for my taste around town but at part throttle on the highway you don't hear much.

Last edited:

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
I slid the tip back a little bit and it's not quite as loud inside the truck.

hihoslvr

Banned
--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'04
Make / Model
F.O.R.D.
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
Got a new tip. Found a chrome unit with a resonator built in at Auto Zone. A little bit quieter. The Gibson sounded nice outside the truck, too effing loud inside the truck.
Also the tailpipe was hitting on the rear diff, not a lot of room in there. Pulled the rear-most pipe bracket all the way through the rubber mount to yank it away from the diff.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals