• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.0L. flwmstr or mgnflw

-spilly

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 L. V-6
Transmission
Manual
i have a 2001 ranger edge, 4ltr V6 , single cab stndrd transmision. i am racking my brain trying to decide on what exhaust package to get for my truck. i want somthing that provides a deep, powerful sound without being to obnoxious. im just looking for an opinion on wat ppl like and why. its kind of a toss up between flowmaster and magnaflow, but im not sure wat to go with. i would be devistated if i ended up with that god awful ricer sound. what should i do? :dntknw:

michowski

Reaction score
I love my flowmaster. Definatly a more aggressive sound from it but still neighbor friendly.

POSrangerlover

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
what about Gibson? :dunno:

-spilly

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 L. V-6
Transmission
Manual
thnx guys, i heard a rumer that the flowmaster ruduces torque, this true, and if i whent with flows, which series should i go with.. the 40, super 40?

dmanmccann

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
I have a magnaflow SI/SI center set....I bought it becauase i wanted a straight through flow..I mean i could hold the muffler up and you can see stright through it...Flowmaster has chambers, which creates a little different sound..But again i wanted the most straight through design....Magnaflow was a warm and mellow tone, damn i wante a backwoods cigar now..

-spilly

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 L. V-6
Transmission
Manual
ya, i think im going with magnaflow. its a deeper, mellower tone. only it doesnt fit with my truck properly... the edge model has different fender design or somthing i was told, so the shop i will buy from is going to extend some of the mounting brackets to make a proper fit

Joshs93four-oh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L/245CID
Transmission
Manual
As far as flow capacity goes a straight-through perforated-core muffler will flow the best. I was kinda dissapointed when I got my gibson system... was very well built but has a louvered-core muffler. I still picked up a few numbers over stock, however. I think that Magnaflow uses a straight-through perforated-core design. Josh
________
Earthquake insurance forum

Last edited:

ithinkshesfat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Go with flowmaster 40 series an take your cats off.

Joshs93four-oh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L/245CID
Transmission
Manual
By the way... My gibson does not have that bladdy flappy v-6 sound at throttle and sounds really nice at idle.
________
LIST OF FORD ENGINES HISTORY

Last edited:

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
thnx guys, i heard a rumer that the flowmaster ruduces torque, this true, and if i whent with flows, which series should i go with.. the 40, super 40?
You wont notice any difference in power between mufflers.

-spilly

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 L. V-6
Transmission
Manual
thnx for all the input guys, however i gotta ask. does the flows or the magnaflow sound at all like they do on the internet and youtube clips. because my biggest concern is that the truck is going to sound like a damn ricer! which would be devastating. i'm getting a full cat back kit, so from from experience does it sound at all riced?

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
the best sound mufflers i have EVER run, are the Hooker Aero chamber mufllers, put a spare one on a dirt bike and it even gave it a nice deep grumble LOL, best sounding mufflers i have ever run, and also WORLDS more durable the flows or magnaflow

-spilly

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 L. V-6
Transmission
Manual
ive looked into about everything, including hooker products, and im honestly prety set on the magnaflow cat back system. the deciding question is: does it sound riced like sound files on the net and youtube make them sound? or does it sound like a truck. i love the deep, mellow sound, just cant stand the rice.

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
thnx for all the input guys, however i gotta ask. does the flows or the magnaflow sound at all like they do on the internet and youtube clips. because my biggest concern is that the truck is going to sound like a damn ricer! which would be devastating. i'm getting a full cat back kit, so from from experience does it sound at all riced?
I'm still saying a chambered muffler like a flowmaster sounds more deep and less ricey than a straight through like a magnaflow. Just buy a muffler and have an exhaust shop run the pipe how you want it, it will be cheaper and it will be welded.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals