• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

serious mods

ranger-runner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ok i am going to be putting in a 302 5.0 in my 99 ranger. ill probably have to get another tranny, that i am unsure about.. bout i also am going to be converting this too four wheel drvie..now what do i have to do..replace both axels or just the front..and what could i pull the axel out of for best fit in my ranger? also talking with someone, they told me to get the dana 35..would this work best..and could i just pull it from another vehicle?

HoleshotKFX400

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Dont know much about the 4wd part, im into 2wd's but you'll have to replace the tranny

V8RangerBoy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yep, that tranny's gotta go. No way it will take the power, let alone bolt up. It also won't bolt to a transfer case for the 4wd.

Your best bet on an axle would be the same year (or same generation) of Rangers. Pretty sure anything '97 up has torsion bars, but I could be wrong. Get the Dana35 for sure. No point in swapping in a Dana28 if you're taking the time to do a swap in the first place.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
you could straight axle it for the same amount of work as swapping in a d-35.

ranger-runner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
what could i get the straight axle out of..i herd people say i could pull one from a jeep??

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
your imagination is the only limit man. you could put 2 1/2 ton rockwells under it if you want.

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
You will have to change the transmission, no way around that. Manual or auto, mechanically controlled or electronic? Really you can use any 302 if you wish, use 5.0L Explorer mounts to put would probably easiest. If you have the 8.8 rear you will be ok unless you want a fullsize axle. In the front it will easier to swap in a solid axle than to put a stock 4x4 drivetrain in. Really imagination isn't the hard part, money is and skill is. Axle wise you can do plenty of combos, D44 and Ranger 8.8, or D44 and 9in, or HD D44 and D60, HD D44 and Sterling 10.25/10.5, D60 and Sterling, 2 1/2 Rockwells, anything really. The latter axles tend to get into some money at times.

Matt

DieselSmoke

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
go look around at other peoples builds and decide what you like and dont like, are your using it for street and offroad or just a trailer queen?
your goin to do an axle swap so deside if you want full size or not, and what kinda wheelin do you do?... rocks or mud or both ? this can decide what tranny you get... auto or manual to, highway you want a OD tranny, if its a trailer queen it doesnt matter... probibly a granny low would be good for a manual, sincro trannys are nice if you like grabbin gears, auto doesnt matter much... doubler cases or 1 case? , all depends on what you wanna do with your truck

ranger-runner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
this girl is going to be strictly mudd...thats where i like to play..until i can get another truck to haul it on a trailer, the only road use will be to and from the mudd boggs..

DieselSmoke

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
then decide if you want auto or manual

and your prob going to want heavy duty full size axles and huge tires and a beefy tranny.

set of rockwells will get the job done :D
or 8 lug dana 44 or a dana 60 front
dana 60 or 70, ford sterling, FF 14 bolt etc.

again look at some builds, im using a 3/4 ton dana44 front and FF 14b rear but will be upgrading to a 60 front soon

ranger-runner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
alright thanks....

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
Being that it has to be street legal is what is going to limit what you can do. That pretty much will rule out a Rockwell due to the height limitations. The next strongest combo will be the front D60 and either a Sterling 10.5/10.25 or 14B chevy rear. They will be good up into the 44in tire range.

Matt

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals