• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New

MidKnightRider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Edge + SuperCab
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
New here, from S.C.
Just picked up a beater 1991 ranger 2.3L 5 speed.
Plan on replacing all water hoses and pump and stat Saturday so I can make sure its ready for summer.

Also I noticed that the bypass hose runs into a T type fitting on mine it is from a hardware store.
What should it be / look like?

In tips on these jobs?

MidKnightRider.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Welcome to the forums...

The T connector on the heater hoses? It can be plastic or metal but it basically does the same thing...the stock T is black plastic with two sides being 5/8" and one being 3/8"...the small one goes into the intake at the back near the firewall...

But some members replace them with metal T connectors...some have actually made their own out of hardware parts (metal as in brass, copper or other)...

It doesn't much matter as long as they are the proper size for the hoses and are sealed properly...

Tips on the pump and stat...get the right parts is about all that matters...and use a good sealant...you don't need much of it but it needs to be there...and don't over tighten the bolts...never had them break off but make sure you clean the bolts and check that the heads are not worn...replace them if you have to or want to...

The T-stat should be in the proper heat range...I use a 190* fail safe but some don't like the fail safe ones for whatever reason...some have a bleeder on them and that is supposed to be the best one...so you may have to inspect them closely to get what you want...

MidKnightRider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Edge + SuperCab
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
Thanks Mark_88
This one had plastic home T and was 1/2 was melted and leaking.
I went to the hardware store and made one up from brass.
Found out it should be the heat controler.

ALL the auto parts houses around here have a re-engernered water pump that will not fit the 91.
The impeller is the same size as the seat. So I did not get the pump in hard to order the right one in. Also had a warped mounting surface on the t-stat housing cover.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals