• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

FX4 shifter swap

K.Strong

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
4L
Transmission
Manual
Difficulty: 1 out of 10

Time to install: ~30 minutes

Disclaimer: The Ranger Station.com, The Ranger Station.com Staff, nor the original poster are responsible for you doing this modification to your vehicle. By doing this modification and following this how-to you, the installer, take full responsibility if anything is damaged or messed up. If you have questions, feel free to PM the original poster or ask in the appropriate section of The Ranger Station.com forums.

Brief Explanation:

I got an FX4 shifter today to replace the stock shifter in my 2010 Sport. I noticed there wasn't too much online about the process of doing the swap, I did find a very short video about taking apart a Ranger shifter which did help since I've never done this before, and by no means am I a mechanic. So I thought I'd take a few pictures and write this up to help anyone else who wants to do the swap but isn't sure what to expect.

Tools Needed:
- Phillips screwdriver
- T30 screwdriver

Parts Needed:
- New shifter

Heres what I started with:

There are two screws under the boot that you have to take out that I circled in red.

Pull the cupholders out of there and you well notice on the shifter there is a bolt with a nut on it, unscrew the nut and give the bolt a tap and it well come out. Pull up on the shifter to remove it.

Now at this point(didn't think of this while I was doing it) I'm pretty sure the FX4 shifter well just fit onto the stock one which would save some time instead of doing what I did...Taking it completly apart.

Four more screws on the plastic part that you well have to remove to pull the plastic off.

To take out the next part you need a T30 screwdriver. There are 3 screws to take out and then simply pull up on the shifter and it well pop right out.

Like this:

Then to instal the FX4 shifter just reverse the steps. But like I said before I'm pretty sure the last two steps you don't have to do becuase the FX4 shifter should just fit where the stock one did. I just wish I thought of that before I went nuts and took it all apart.

Here is my new FX4 shifter

Last edited:

Airmaster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda,
Chevy
Engine Size
3.0L Stick, 3.6L Stick
Transmission
Manual
I gotta ask is the shifter ball on the FX4 threaded? If so what is the thread type and size?

K.Strong

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
4L
Transmission
Manual
I haven't taken the ball off. But looking at it I'd say its threaded. Ill find out what size wrench it uses tomorrow for you and take a picture of the threads.

V8 Level II

Dec 2008 STOTM Winner, 2008 Truck Of The Year
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Supercharged 5.0L
Transmission
Automatic

hondaxr650

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I don't mean to pick on the OP but you can really screw up the shifter bolt by tapping it out. Sometimes those suckers are reeeaaly tight in there. You need to remove the nut, thread it onto the shorter threaded section on the opposite side and tighten it. Pulls the bolt right out.

K.Strong

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
4L
Transmission
Manual
I don't mean to pick on the OP but you can really screw up the shifter bolt by tapping it out. Sometimes those suckers are reeeaaly tight in there. You need to remove the nut, thread it onto the shorter threaded section on the opposite side and tighten it. Pulls the bolt right out.
I appreciate it. I'd rather you tell me so I (or anyone else) dont make the same mistake.

fixizin

FoMoCo is forcing me to buy a 'yota
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
A properly suspensioned Ranger can be safely airborne for up to 4 seconds at a time! =:O
Nice job, and thanks for sharing.

2 questions:

) Do you find the new FX4 version gives you shorter, crisper throws?

) Where'd you get that sexy thaaang, and how much $$ ??

Thanks in advance...

K.Strong

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
4L
Transmission
Manual
1 - No, but I believe the Hurst one does?
2 - I got it off Kijiji(pretty much a Canadian version of Craigslist) for $50

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals