• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Video trouble shoot!! 4.0 B2 fuel pump wont turn off, and no start???

BabyBronco89

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
95' 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
truck started up and drove fine all the way to work, got to work parked it, went out on my lunch break to start it and she wouldnt start up just dry cranked.
i thought maybe i was out of gas..., after putting in two gallons and still no start i started at the relays theres three relays a ecm relay fuel pump and a starter relay every relay seems to be working correctly bought a new ecm relay and it didnt do anything tried swapping them out and it did nothing

when i turn the key on your supposed to hear the fuel pump click on then shut off but it doesnt shut off.
the fuel pump keeps running and sounds like its gonna explode from pumping to much
im thinking that the computer is what tells the fuel pump to shut on and off, so maybe the computer has gone bad? how do i test this?

i seem to have plenty of gas in the fuel rail????

thanks heres my lil video i made

let me know what you think
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjB2-mPxNL4

Protowrxs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 - 4.0 Waiting
Transmission
Manual
Just a Guess:

Did you check the fuel pressure regulator? Could the diaphragm be leaking through to the intake and thus no real fuel pressure?

That didn't seem like a lot of pressure when you released it based on my experiences at least. That could force the pump to run continuously and possibly keep it from firing if it is flooding it. Could check the oil level too and make sure it's not pumping gas into the crank case. I'm not sure if the EEC cycles the fuel pump or not? It doesn't know what the fuel pressure is, just that the pump relay is on or off.

Anyhow, just an idea - will be interesting what the final resolution is. Good luck!

-Stephen

BabyBronco89

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
95' 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
no it is definately getting gas it was a very healthy stream just like it always is...
although im with ya on the maybe getting too much gas

so what turns the pump off does the sending unit itself sense this?
but im going to try and get a computer tom so i can rule that out, because i was reading some stuff about the 5.0 comupters doing the same type of thing when they failed?

any one ever had a 4.0 computer fail?
what where the symptoms?

Protowrxs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 - 4.0 Waiting
Transmission
Manual
Could be the computer turns off the pump after the prime if the engine is not running. That would make sense. If you can locate a computer I guess that would be an easy enough swap to make sure if that is the problem. May be it's just not firing the injectors.

Easiest to pull computer codes on it and see if it knows there is something wrong or not or passes self test.

One other idea, did you try opening up the throttle while cranking. I debugged a 5.0 with a dead IAB that was closed and would not allow a start unless the throttle was cracked some. Started but wouldn't idle so that was easy to figure out. Fuel pump didn't act like that though.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
any one ever had a 4.0 computer fail?
what where the symptoms?
Computer failure can manifest in many forms.

The fuel pump relay is run by the PCM. The pump get a 5 second prime and then shuts down until the computer sees a rotational signal from the cam sensor.

Pull the fuel pump relay, if the pump still runs full bore you have a short to power somewhere. If they shut down test the fuel pump relay. The two smaller pins should NOT have continuity to each other with the relay out. If they don't, check the two-tone wire to the relay for continuity to ground with the key off. If none, get a computer.

BabyBronco89

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
95' 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
Alright that's the answer I'm looking for :)
I pulled the fuel pump relay and it stopped my pump. I then swapped it with another relay and it still did the same thing. Won't cut off,
So I need to now make sure that that relay is grounded out properly.
Which I will get to later in the evening right now I'm at work and don't have a multi meter with me,
But I'm leaning more and more twords computer failure

Thanks once again!!!

BabyBronco89

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
95' 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
okay so went to the pick a part yard to try and find a 92 auto 4.0 computer.

long story short i couldnt find one but i got it running off of a 94 4.0 computer

can someone tell me what the differnce and compatibilty issues will be?
i can tell you i now have a check engine light on where as before i did not.
but it only comes on when the car gets warm

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals