• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Newbie from UT

Kanoodle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My name is Dustin and I just bought a 98 B-4000 auto 4x4 with 126,XXX miles Tues night of this week and now have a growing list of "need to do's". I apologize in advance for the book I am about to write lol.

First thing was the 4wd and 4wd low would flash when I put it into 4wd. Unplugged the battery to reset the code and tried it again same thing, I crawled under to see if the plugs were all snapped together and they were. So had the gf come over and put it into 4wd while I smacked the 4wd motor after I reset the code and it is now functioning. So went down a dirt road to test the 4wd and nothing. So read up on the auto hubs did the lock mod and tested it again the next day, success.

Now I have noticed a small coolant leak. It is coming from the valve that hooks up to the heater core by the firewall. Idk what the valve is called but that will be getting replaced soon.

The overdrive lockout wasn't working so I checked fuses and bingo there was one popped. I replaced and now the O/D lock out works.

Next big issue is FILTHY coolant. Going to flush the system out tomorrow. Any pointers on this procedure would be great.

So I noticed today a whining noise coming from what sounds like the hubs after the hub lock mod. They are in fact locked so should I be concerned?

The ATF is fairly filthy so going to be flushing it soon along with diff, and T/C fluid change.

The font end may need a few bushings and has a small clunk. Does this site have a vender and anyone have a link with front suspension components?

I do have a question about the rear end. Do they have a locker or ford version of limited slip when in 4wd?

It has a small miss at idle to 1500rpm is this normal in the 4.0? I am going to change my spark plugs to see if it helps at all.

Anyways for you that are still reading I could go on for DAYS so I am going to stop my list here lol.

RICO9

07/2014 OTOTM Winner
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Title says 84.
Make / Model
Furd
Engine Size
2.8L w/ Chevy TBI.
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to the site from West Valley City! What part of UT are you from?

prerunnerwannabe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Welcome! Yeah what part of UT are you from? I'm from the Logan area.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
Welcome.

A lot of your questions can be answered with the tech library.
Ford did offer a limited slip... Check your data tag on the rear axle or door code and consult the tech library.

Let's see some pics of your ranger!
Oh and btw when I first saw UT, I thought rocky top! I'm a Vols fan so I can't help it! Welcome again!

Kanoodle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I live In Taylorsville (Salt Lake county) but moving to Midvale on the 6th.

RICO9

07/2014 OTOTM Winner
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Title says 84.
Make / Model
Furd
Engine Size
2.8L w/ Chevy TBI.
Transmission
Manual
Cool! you guys should come the monthly meet and greet at the Hire's burger joint on 4500s 3000w. a bunch of us members will be there next saturday at 7pm.

Kanoodle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I might come mingle but the truck wont be present, changed the coolant and turns out it wasn't just dirty it was pitch black. There is a decent amount of oil present, I drained filled with water, turned the heater on, drove around to flush the water through it and drained it, and was still very dark. So I am either going to replace head gasket, swap another 4.0 into it or just put new fluids in it and sell it untill i find another really clean truck.

Hires is less than two minutes from my house so I will most likely show up in the Mazda Protege to meet some of the locals.

RICO9

07/2014 OTOTM Winner
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Title says 84.
Make / Model
Furd
Engine Size
2.8L w/ Chevy TBI.
Transmission
Manual
that's cool. My bronco hasn't made it to a meet yet. I'll be in my Jeep.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals