• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

91 & 95 Explorer interchangeable slip yokes ?

Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I'm reasearching the Explorer front driveshaft modification (u-joint) for my 1990 Bronco II.
I need to know if the "Front" Driveshaft Slips are interchangeable from 1st Gen to 2nd Gen.

I keep finding several guys with the earlier models BIIs that have no problems switching the entire front shaft of the 1st generation Explorer as long as they switch their flanges and loose the Cardone Joint. That measures 31-1/4" compressed.
Thats not the case here. I have a shorter D-shaft than those guys. I need to shorten the length even further for my factory ride height 1990/5 speed set up. My current "Tulip style" measures 30-3/4" installed. My plan is to use the 2nd Gen Explorer main shaft (2" shorter) and the 1st Gen slip (shorter that 2nd Gen). This should put my compressed length at 29-1/4". Is that going to be sufficient ?
Here is what I've read on this topic. I just want to hear others opinions before I make a purchase or two on ebay.
Thanks
http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103209

P.S
I realize I'll need to use U-Joint flanges as well.

Last edited:

Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
ttt
O.K, so let me re-phrase this since no one seems to know the answer.
How many splines are one the 2nd Gen Explorer (95-96) front driveshaft ?
And how many splines are on the 1st Gen Explorer driveshaft ?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals