• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Buying used

mitch4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys, I am going to look at a Bronco II today (1988) I am wondering what i should look for some girl is selling it and she thinks it has a bad U joint because when she turns it hops and clicks in 4x4 or something. Which leads me to believe nothing is broken anyway what are some problems areas on these trucks for rust or frame breakage etc etc. I know what to look for on the 2.9 seeing how i already own one. So any help you guys could give would be great!:icon_thumby:

swamprat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If she has it lock in and turns tight on pavement it will hop. Still could be a u joint, easy fix. I have an 89 BII and live in Kentucky where they use salt on the roads. We dont get much snow just freezing rain. My truck had the leaf spring shackles rusted out on 2 sides,(only have 3 sides to start with). I replaced those and hangers. It was an easy fix and cost was low. The frame should be good unless she wheels it a lot. Look around the power steering box and coil buckets.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Hopping in 4WD on pavement is normal.

Clicks mean that by doing so, she (or you) has broken the automatic locking hubs.

Part time 4WD systems should NEVER be used on dry pavement or other high traction conditions.

mitch4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Well i look at it today and it was a piece of junk, it was definitely bet the bottom was caked in mud, the drivers side door had a big dent in it, the body was really bad on the back and the hatch did not close. So i know another guy who has one and its lifted so i think ill look at that tomorrow. Do they sell floor pans for these models?

dude772

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
yes they sell the front floor pans its crosscanada part number 576-40(R or L depending on the side).

And look for rot behind the kickpanels, along the top of the firewall inder the hood, under the drivers feet, along the sides of the firewall under the hood, the floor near the rear body mounts, and the worst place the rad support where the mounts are. If you dont see those right away, then you will get screwed later on.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals