• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

manual trans from 92 ex to 86 bii?

lost86broncoii

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok so i got under my explorer and found more rust than i really wanna deal with, but it's a 5 speed and i've been dreaming about making my 86 bii a 5 speed for years. I don't have a garage to do it in though but i know the bronco ii inside and out, so my question is... Someone having done this swap, about how long did it take you? Would you say it could be done on a frozen over gravel driveway lol? And any tips this to make sure to swap or switch? Thanks for any info or help.

BabyBronco89

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
95' 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
id say it def could be done on a frozen gravel driveway i know you gotta have the b2 on stands to slide the trans out, i usually do this myself with the help of a jack on the engine and bench press trans n everything in place, usually slides right in
if you have practice removing the trans in your b2 and clutch basket well in place you shouldnt have to hard of a time, just make sure you get the right parts

fishman3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys Ii need some trasmission help. my 1990 ranger 2.3 2wd man tranny m5od-r1 is about gone. no reverse or 5th gear. I have access to one that is under a 1990 2.9
4wd. looks the same. can i take the transfer case off and put my 2wd stinger on it an make it fit?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Hey guys Ii need some trasmission help. my 1990 ranger 2.3 2wd man tranny m5od-r1 is about gone. no reverse or 5th gear. I have access to one that is under a 1990 2.9
4wd. looks the same. can i take the transfer case off and put my 2wd stinger on it an make it fit?
No. Wrong bell housing, wrong output shaft.

What you might have better luck doing is swapping the shift plate from the 2.9 trans. 5th and Reverse share a shift rail. If you lost both at the same time odds are good you aren't engaging to the 5/R rail.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals