• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Where-O-where to put the EEC (5.0L comp)

Dishtowel

August OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys, I am in the second half of my 5.0L install.

I am curious where other guys with EFI have located their EEC computer box. I was once told NEVER to put it in the engine compartment due to heat. But trying to find a way to get the harness poked thorught the firewall and have the computer somewhere where I can mount it safe and DRY is a pretty big challenge.

So far what I can see for options consist of:
A- rear drivers-side of the engine compartment, mounted as high as I can up against the fender
B- try and find a way through the firewall near the steering column and mount the computer beside the steering column in the cab (not very high, might get wet when the frogs and fishes invade my cab)
c- magically find someway through the firewall over by the heater core and have the comp live above the glovebox

Love to hear from guys that have done this!

dude772

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
how about where they locate it from the facotry? behind the passengers side kickpanel?

mudnsnow

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L EFI
Transmission
Automatic
Mine was originaly on the driver side (On the Bronco) so i just make a hole into the firewall where my clutch master cylinder was bolded( since i put the Ranger Auto this hole are useless)

wade

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Go to your friendly junkyard, take a look at where the EEC is positioned on some various year model applications (they seem to vary from generation to generation), and take whatever holddown brackets, clamps, grommets - whatever you think you'll need. Don't forget the correct sized convoluted tubing (and plenty of electrical tape) to protect your wiring. Then you could put it where you want it and still make it look like it belongs there.

Mine, like dude772's, is mounted behind the R-side kickpanel. The wiring harness passes thru the firewall with a large oval-shaped grommet. But, then, this is where the EEC was located on the '89-'90. (I think its Gen2.)

Last edited:

Dishtowel

August OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
thanks for the input guys

In regards to putting it where the old 2.9 EEC lived (by the passengers right foot) there is two problems: my 5.0L harness will NEVER reach that far without a decent amount of splicing, AND that is LOW. This is my dedicated 4x4 rig. It will be doing water crossings, and even though *I* don't plan on stopping in 3-4' of water there is the possibility of it happening. Therefore I want to mount it as high as is reasonable.

Trying to make my own hole through the firewall looks less and less appealing. I think I may built a bracket in the upper rear of the engine compartment to hole the computer. Seal it with some silicon, and built a drip/splash shield.

dude772

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
there was a guy on here before the forums got all messed up who had made a tubberware container into a type of water proof container for his eec. Cut a section out of it for the wires to go threw and siliconed the crap out of it. You could do that and mount it in the area that the cruise control thing goes. Then you never need to worry about water at all.

just a thought...

Totalled

Law Enforcement
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
8 rabid gophers
Transmission
Automatic
What vehicle is you engine harness from? If it's a panther platform car (crown vic, marquis, town car) you can remove your e-brake pedal and put the EEC in like it was mounted in the car such as Broncman did: http://broncoii.org/forum/index.php?topic=2313.30

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ive in the past popped the dash out and mounte it where the passenger side speaker mounts in the dash, that has always worked the best for me and it NEVER got wet there

V8RangerBoy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
We built an aluminum box for mine, with an A/C line running into it. It's gets cab heat in the winter, and the cab A/C in the summer. The Exploder box was too big to mount in the cab anywhere or else we would have.

Dishtowel

August OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
there was a guy on here before the forums got all messed up who had made a tubberware container into a type of water proof container for his eec. Cut a section out of it for the wires to go threw and siliconed the crap out of it. You could do that and mount it in the area that the cruise control thing goes. Then you never need to worry about water at all.

just a thought...
I *think* that was the infamous Todd. I remember reading something about how his EEC was in tuperware back when I was a lurker.

What vehicle is you engine harness from? If it's a panther platform car (crown vic, marquis, town car) you can remove your e-brake pedal and put the EEC in like it was mounted in the car such as Broncman did: http://broncoii.org/forum/index.php?topic=2313.30
The harness is from a 90' TownCar yes. I considered re-configuring the park brake and doing just that. It is a suitable location, mid height and out of the way. Then I have to figure out where to put the park brake.... Thanks for the input!

ive in the past popped the dash out and mounte it where the passenger side speaker mounts in the dash, that has always worked the best for me and it NEVER got wet there
I was looking at doing this very thing. I like the location alot, but how/where did you get through the firewall?? I either have to build a tunnel/tube through the wiper arm 'area' OR have to find a way through the heater-core/in cab air maze. Do you have any pics/diagrams of where you routed the harness? I would greatly appreciate them!
Perhaps something like this to get through the wiper arm area?

V8RangerBoy that lookes B-E-AutyfUllllll!

Last edited:

dude772

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
i think you might be right.. name rings a bell

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals