• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3 in a B2? Anyone done this?

Roger

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a 90 Ranger with 2.3 and 5 speed. Its likely going to be swapped out for a Explorer 4.0 and A4LD. Has anyone put a 2.3 in a B2? I don't need it as a trail monster, or a speed demon. Looking to chop the top and make it a nice weather cruiser.

disciplerocks

July 2011 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Why would you want to put an underpowered motor in a heavier truck? Not to mention the 2.9 is under powered for the B2 as it is.

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Why would you want to put an underpowered motor in a heavier truck? Not to mention the 2.9 is under powered for the B2 as it is.
I almost did it once... Gave up on finding A 2.3 4X4 trans and scrapped it...

mp3deviant721

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l of fury
Transmission
Manual
I've seen people talk about it but no one who actually did it. Unless you want to be the first one.

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
A FI 2.3 wouldn't be crazy. I like the 2.3 in my Ranger for what I use that vehicle for. A FI 2.3 would be more road worthy than a carbed 2.8, promise you that.

CHKNFKR

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
545 CID
Transmission
Manual
A FI 2.3 wouldn't be crazy. I like the 2.3 in my Ranger for what I use that vehicle for. A FI 2.3 would be more road worthy than a carbed 2.8, promise you that.
This

My ranger started out as a 2.3 5speed 4x4 and it never had any troubles (or so I'm told.) It got good mileage, could break traction if so desired all while running 33s and 4.10s no less. A doubler would have made it a far more capable wheeler for sure.

Roger

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Bringing this thread back from the dead. I recently found a 84 B2 without engine and trans, owner was planning a V8 swap and ran out of patience... Last summe, my son and I stripped the 90 Ranger and installed EVERYTHING from his 94 Explorer. Fun truck, and does get a little better MPG than in the Explorer. But I'm left with the leftover stuff.

I have a couple ways to go with this, *IF* I get the truck. I'm not looking for a overgrown underpowered offroader. I'm thinking a decent little normal sized MPG machine. I remember thinking the B2 needed mroe power with the 2.9 in 86 when I wanted to buy one. And with the automatic, it wasn't a lot of fun. The 4 banger EFI with a 5 speed ought to at least be its equal.

I'm understanding the B2 engine crossmember isn't drilled for 2.3 mounts. Not a show stopper, I can always build mounts. While I have the electric shift tcase, I also have a manual shift 1350. Might be preferable and rule out some wiring headaches. I yanked the Ranger's D35 with 4.10s. But it needs bearings, balljoints and one spindle. IF I swap in the D35, I would prefer to use the 96-97 model Ranger unit, for the better brakes. I also have a D30 from a XJ with 3.07s... At stock B2 height, I think I'd have to trim a LOT of the crossmember and maybe weaken it. No real reason to SAS...

In a different vein, Are the 2WD beams for the Explorers a bolt in for B2/Ranger 4x4 mounts? Just something to consider.

Yeah, go figure, someone thinking of building a RBV for MPG...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals