• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Looking for an Explorer

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
Looked at one today. 2002, green, V6, 3rd row, 170K, good condition, many new parts, no timing chain service ...... $6000

should I walk away?

5spd Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
that is what my wife has just be careful of tranny there are not the best but other than that she (we) love it.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
more worried about the miles and price tag, transmission can be fixed, frmes and bodies are far more expensive to fix. NADA says it books out at $6025 on high book retail. I think I want to stay 2005 or newer.... whats this Ironman Explorer package all about..... all I can tell about it is 2 tone leather seats and gloss black with black wheels...

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
go with 4000$ cash, preferably 20's and/or 50's, offer him 3000, then pull out money and start counting, you'll know damn quick if you're going to buy it...

tell them also "3000$ is yours right now, and it's of your lawn/driveway/garage/backyard/ect tonight"

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
yeah I thought about that.... but he has documented $2500 worth of work done since picking it up at the auction. Work done by a reputable local shop. he is kinda firm on that price.... but ..... the timing chain rattles on start up and then quiets in less than 30 sec. I believe that rattle is caused by the rear timing chain..... the one that is a PIA to get too.

kkjb4x4.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mazda
Transmission
Manual
Seems way over priced to me,and I live in Canada where everything costs more.Personally I look for vehicles that may need minor work and get it on the cheap. $2500 in repairs is what maybe$500 to $800 in new parts?Offer him $3000.

disciplerocks

July 2011 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
6k is too much. Doesn't matter how much work he said he's had done. I think 4 would be a fair price. I doubt you get him to 3 if he's asking 6.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
my EX is 2 years older with 20K more miles and i think it blue books for $2500 on the high side....just throwing that out there. it has never been in a major accident (knock on wood), everything runs great (knock on wood), has leather AND a CD/cassette tape player. start 4 and go from there, i wouldnt pay more than 5.

just cause you put X amount into a vehicle doesnt mean it's worth that much. if i put $10k into my b2, are you gonna pay me $10k for it? hell no

86 slo-vo

02/2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
No way I would pay 6k, maybe 3k if it's in nice shape.

unoleisu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If the timing chain is rattling, walk away. You will definately find a better deal. Just be patient. That rattle is a chain guide, most likely. You have to pull the engine to replace it. You should do all three of them if you're doing one. It's a PITA and not worth doing on top of the price you quoted, in my opinion.

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
10,000$ worth of parts into a ford tempo, doesn't make it a 10,000$ car, it still makes it a tempo

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Usually the front chain goes out first, not big deal to fix... they are not rare enough yet to pass up for another one though.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If the timing chain is rattling, walk away. You will definately find a better deal. Just be patient. That rattle is a chain guide, most likely. You have to pull the engine to replace it. You should do all three of them if you're doing one. It's a PITA and not worth doing on top of the price you quoted, in my opinion.
this is what I was thinking

Seems way over priced to me,and I live in Canada where everything costs more.Personally I look for vehicles that may need minor work and get it on the cheap. $2500 in repairs is what maybe$500 to $800 in new parts?Offer him $3000.
Everything in MI is way over priced if it has no rust. Problem with buying one with a few problems is I never have time to get around to fixing them, So it goes to the same shop this guy had his work done at.

10,000$ worth of parts into a ford tempo, doesn't make it a 10,000$ car, it still makes it a tempo
This was my thinking.... plus its older than I want, but since it is my second favorite explorer headlight arrangement I stopped to look at it. but he is still firm on that price. I told him I would give him 4 for it, he asked why so low, I said the timing chain rattles and the engine has to come out to fix that, XYZ shop quoted me $2500 to do that. He is still holding fast at $6000.

bilzy7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Ya I had some guy want 3400 no lower for a 99 2 dr explorer. It had a screw holding rear body panel at bottom by bumper. It was also rusted almost through. His reason was he was into it for more. That's his problem.
I'd suggest moving on. That vehicle will come again that you will fall in love with. No need to screw yourself over picking up someone else's problem.

bilzy7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
I ended up with a 98 4 door 4x4 with 118k miles for $2200.00. I replaced spark plugs switch to my rangers tires, had an issue with brakes that is now fixed. So all in all I will end up spending 3400.00 after I've done everything I want to do. And I don't have a screw holding a body panel on...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals