• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

low tread mud tires

youngstroker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
right now i'm wheeling on 31/10.5r15 bfg a/t's and it not easy when most of where i off road is mud, i've seen some tires for sale such as baja claws or super swampers that are worn would it be better to wheel with worn out mud tires or stick with the at's? the at's plug real easy and don't do much anyway.
i'm also looking to step up to 33's.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
An AT will beat the tar out of an MT in snow, keep that in mind over there in Illionois.

bilzy7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Ya I run my BFGoodrich AT's in the winter. I love them. 60 less miles per tank though since they are 265/75/16 and not the stock 235/75/15 my 98 explorer came with. It needs to f'in snow in MA already. It snowed for 5 minutes this morning extremely lightly and stopped. Didn't even appear to hit the ground. I want my frigging snow!!!! Someone told me were in for a late start and a late end, but a very bad winter. Ohh god I hope so. I don't live in MA for the hot temps.

youngstroker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
o this is not a dd, i have an f250 for that, this is a trail only truck. i run dunlop rover m/t awesome all around tire by the way. we do some winter wheeling but it is mostly mud. i have found some worn out baja claws, he is asking $120, i think i can get them cheaper than that.

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
Depends how worn we're talking. Tread is tread though, so I'd probably take the ATs.

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
An AT will beat the tar out of an MT in snow, keep that in mind over there in Illionois.
disagree! depends on the type of snow... hard pack or white ice, yes, absolutely the at's are better (black ice also, though you said snow) however in any deep snow or powder, i would MUCH rather the mt's

and i'm basing this off of brand new(ish) BFG ko's that were on my truck when i bought it, and my brand new BFG km2's that are now quite worn, and living in a city that gets several overnight snowfalls of over 1 foot, per year

the snow in your area may have different effects on your tires, i know the snow back home is COMPLETELY different!

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
I think he is talking about off road only in which case I would imagine the MT's could be better if they had enough tread on them but otherwise they would more then likely not have a good edge to grip and would probably act more like slicks. (I'm basing this off of what I concider bad tread cause when most people post on craigslist has 30% tread and you can't see the outline its a lie.)

But if they have more then a 1/4" left then I would say they are better.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
disagree! depends on the type of snow... hard pack or white ice, yes, absolutely the at's are better (black ice also, though you said snow) however in any deep snow or powder, i would MUCH rather the mt's

and i'm basing this off of brand new(ish) BFG ko's that were on my truck when i bought it, and my brand new BFG km2's that are now quite worn, and living in a city that gets several overnight snowfalls of over 1 foot, per year

the snow in your area may have different effects on your tires, i know the snow back home is COMPLETELY different!
I fully agree.

But packed snow is much more commonly encountered for a dd than fresh snow... and wrecking is much less fun than getting stuck. It is all a moot point for a wheeler although I would still rather have good AT's than bald MT's.

All my vehicles have MT's... my DD gets around about as good on packed snow with new BFT MT's as it did on bald Widtrack Baja AT's :rolleyes:

Last edited:

youngstroker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
this truck will never see the street, it dosn't even have plates, i have three other cars for that, i asked him for a tread depth and some more photos, we will see how they are. i'm hopeing for some good side lugs to help pull threw the mud b/c if u have ever tried to go mudding with bfg a/ts u know how easy they plug and stay pluged, it don't help my 2.9l is a gutless wonder.

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I fully agree.

But packed snow is much more commonly encountered for a dd than fresh snow... and wrecking is much less fun than getting stuck. It is all a moot point for a wheeler although I would still rather have good AT's than bald MT's.

All my vehicles have MT's... my DD gets around about as good on packed snow with new BFT MT's as it did on bald Widtrack Baja AT's :rolleyes:
yes, but that's why i said it depends on where you live... there's very little hard pack snow where i live, just because of a combination of the cold weather and dry air, the snow that falls doesn't pack really, it's virtually impossible to make a snowman or throw a snowball about 80% of the winter... though there are a few snowfalls with the normal packable snow...

this truck will never see the street, it dosn't even have plates, i have three other cars for that, i asked him for a tread depth and some more photos, we will see how they are. i'm hopeing for some good side lugs to help pull threw the mud b/c if u have ever tried to go mudding with bfg a/ts u know how easy they plug and stay pluged, it don't help my 2.9l is a gutless wonder.
side lugs typically don't help much for traction in 90% of situations, what they DO help with is pulling you out of deep ruts

youngstroker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic

found these 33/12.50R15 the guy has 3 two look like the top pic. and 1 of the bottom pic. he wants $120 i told him $50 i wont go more than $60, most people say don't go cheap on tires but this is a real budget build.

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
half decent A/T's are going to be better than those, unless it's a significant size upgrade, but even then...

youngstroker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
i would be going froma 31-10.5 to a 33-12.5 i realy need the ground clearance the ttb hangs so low, i catch on everything. i found a guy selling thornbirds with decent tread has anyone ran them in the mud, how are they.

gribly

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Honda
Engine Size
K20A3
Transmission
Manual
Thornbirds are tires you buy when you want something that looks good but still drives on the street. The center section of the treads is like a racing slick. In some cases they work fine in the mud, some people like them, but generally they have less traction.

mattc113

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
8"
Tire Size
37"

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals