• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Gramps needs help with rim selection

OldLefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hi to everyone.
I am new here and a I am trying hard to read the threads on wheels.
I am fixing up a real nice 1999 Ranger 2wd sport for my grandson and I want to put some different wheels on it. I have read a lot of your threads but I am now confused. So in plain english, what other ford products rims fit without modification on a 1999 2wd ranger. 15"16" 17"
I don't want to buy spacers or anything like that just bolt them on.
Thank you

COPPERHEAD85

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
look inside the door jam on the id sticker for the truck and it will give you the correct tire size that came on the truck and go from there......that will keep your speedo correct.
if that isnt an issue...the combinations are a matter of what you like........being an off road guy i cant really hep you with exact numbers but iam sure someone will chime in with some good info.
your grandson is lucky to have a grandpa like you to hook him up!

OldLefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the reply.
I guess my intent was not clear. (sorry)
I was thinking of putting some rims (lets say off of a 2006 mustang V6)
Or some other rims like an explorer or something to make it different.
I don't want to get any after market rims, just stick with a ford production item. Hope that helps.

johnr66

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I'd stay with 15 or 16 inch rims. The older explorer rims will fit, not sure about the new generation explorer rims. Don't care much for the slanted oval opening design of the explorer rims. Looks to "minivan-ish looking to me.

Consider the differential gearing when you get tires for those rims. My 4 banger Ranger has 3.73 gears and 225/70R15 tires. This is 27.4" diameter tire and performance is fair. I'm going for a 26" tire next time for better around town performance. Keep in mind a different tire diameter will throw off the speedometer.

If you get OEM rims new be ready for sticker shock. After market rims are a good option if you buy new.

98ranger4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
im pretty sure 2006 mustang rims have a too positive offset but they might work, newer explorers may be too positive too(stick in). other than that the older mustang and for the most part all ford wheels will fit. like johnr66 said aftermarket is cheaper if you are going to buy new.

1987 DANGER RANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
All rangers, expos and other RBV have the same bolt pattern 5x4.5, so the bolt patterns are all the same no matter what year of vehicle. If Iam not correct someone else advise. Plus what a kick ass g-pa.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
Danger Ranger is correct. Any Explorer/Ranger wheel will fit,as will most Mustang wheels. Some Mustang wheels like the Cobras will not clear the front hub grease cap but you can work around that with a spacer or a hammer..
My pick for something subtle yet meaty would be 16" Ranger/Explorer deer hoof rims with a 225/60-16 or 235/60-16 tire.
So what's a deer hoof rim? I knew you'd ask.

OldLefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for all your responces. Hey I did know what deer hoof or camel toe rims were.
Does anyone know were the best place to buy after market rims on line from?
I was hoping to find a chromed steel rim. Very basic, I see white and black steel spoked rims but never can find any chrome ones.
I am getting into this to much. I wanted to build a nice steet truck now I just fell in love with the pre-runner look. But I better settle down and stick with the street truck. Don't need the grandson and I diggin up grandma's back 40.

94 lngbd

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
check out craigslist.org for tire& wheel sets ,you can find some great deals there. Just for instince check out this deal. sale-601945358@craigslist.org

Now this deal is in my area ,but you can check in all most any area of your state

hihoslvr

Banned
--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'04
Make / Model
F.O.R.D.
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
hey old lefty, how goes the battle? IMHO go with alloys if you can afford it, esp for a 2wd street truck or prerunner, they're lighter and hopefully that translates into more fuel economy. I got the stock deer hoofs, and I like em, also like the FX4 rims, just need to get ahold a some a that camel toe now...

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Danger Ranger is correct. Any Explorer/Ranger wheel will fit,as will most Mustang wheels. Some Mustang wheels like the Cobras will not clear the front hub grease cap but you can work around that with a spacer or a hammer..
My pick for something subtle yet meaty would be 16" Ranger/Explorer deer hoof rims with a 225/60-16 or 235/60-16 tire.
So what's a deer hoof rim? I knew you'd ask.
I always thought these were the deer hoof print wheels? Available in either 14" or 15"

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/set-of-two-93-95-ranger-wheels-with-tires_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ66481QQihZ004QQitemZ140213613214QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Last edited:

OldLefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Okay maybe I am getting old.
I saw these mounted on a truck with some nice white lettered tires and it looked real sharp. Reminded me of the old chrome rim with moon hubcaps.
What do you young guys think? I know they are skins. But I should be able to pickup some stock steel rims like these some place? Anyone have any?

Last edited:

hihoslvr

Banned
--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'04
Make / Model
F.O.R.D.
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I always thought these were the deer hoof print wheels? Available in either 14" or 16"

oh yeah, hey you're right... then I don't know what the heck mine are, flaming snowballs? anyway, I put steel chromes on my old truck, and they rusted up a bit. black steel looks badass though, but so do the baby moons! Wait, get some black steel with baby moon center caps!

gotmudd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
390C.I
Transmission
Automatic
for rims i would say jcwitney.com[hope spelling is acurate] or look in any 4X4 or offroad mag, they usually have some good wheel and tire combos for under a grand, which isn't bad considering the price of tires alone.

ish474

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Wheel vintiques makes a lot of really cool steel wheels I am going with the Series 14 Genie in a 17x8 there a little pricey in that size but the more Conservative sizes are really reasonable. And I have looked everywhere and summit has the best prices on these wheels. www.wheelvintiques.com
www.summitracing.com

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals