• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Oil Pan, Stamped to Cast swap

1up

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I asked this Question a While back. Now I have the Answer to post for everyone.
I'm dropping a 86 Merkur Turbo engine into my 89 Ranger, I was concerned about the oil pan as the Ranger has the cast aluminum pan with the 2 bolt bosses for the transmission bell housing, what I was concerned about was
(1) oil capacity and (2) structural integrity (trans mount). I was afraid the oil pump pickup would not fit due to the different design of the oil pan (the cast pan having a cavity at the rear or the pan).
Here's what I found, it was to easy the only thing that is different between the two is the oil pump itself, the pickups are the same, I just bought the pump for the 89 Ranger and switched the pickup, (I did not have my original P/U from the stock Ranger engine), the pump for a stamped steel pan has the oil pressure spring housing cast into the upper side of the pump putting it next to the pan rail gasket area, the Ranger pump has it cast on the bottom of the pump putting it in the pan, I found the cast Ranger pan would hit this cast housing area of the Merkur pump.
Problem solved, I know it might not be a big mystery, but I hope some one will be able to use this information.
Curt

ejholmgren

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
So you only used the merkur pickup because you didn't have the ranger one?

1up

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Correct, I did not have the Ranger pick up,only the Merkur p/u. I wanted to use the original Ranger cast pan and was afraid the p/u's were going to be different due to the different oil pan designs.
So what I found was the only difference between the to installations were the actual pumps, not the pickups, they remained the same.
Curt

now I'm off to figure out the wiring,...........there I'm totally lost...:icon_confused:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals