• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Noisy clutch?

cferr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hello, I am new here and I'm learning a lot from all the post. This is a great site with tons of info. I have an issue that I can't find an answer to by searching.

I have a 1996 Ranger x-cab with flared bed, 4 cyl with standard transmission. I am having a sqeaking noise from the transmission bell housing. It only does it when you press in the clutch. There is a hole in the housing and with a flashlight, I can see what is happening. When the clutch is pressed in, a shaft is pushed forward and engages or disengages something that is spinning. The noise is coming from these two things spinning either with each other or in opposite directions(I can't remember their directions). It is a little rusted in there and I was wondering if some kind of lubricant could be sprayed in there to quite it down. Liquid wrench or wd-40. I figured I had better ask first because I think the clutch is in there and I don't want to mess that up.
It is getting louder and louder to the point that it is embarrassing.
I have just drained and refilled the trans fluid, and it does seem to be a little better. But it is still there.
Everything about trans and clutch work great. The clutch fills like it only activates about the last 4 inches when you let it out, but it has been like that for the last 8 years, so I'm thinking thats normal.
Well, if anybody could help it would be great.
Thanks

Loanranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989/
Make / Model
Ford/
Fordzuki
Engine Size
2.9/2.3
Transmission
Manual
This sounds to me like the throwout bearing. The only way to fix the problem is to replace it. If you spray anything in there, you are going to soak the clutch and it will slip.

cferr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the response. As soon as I read what you said, it made sense to me. The sound is like a bearing screeching and grinding. I am pretty mechanical, have worked on many of my own vehicles, but never worked on a transmission or clutch. Not sure if special tools would be need and the procedure. Is the info I can get from a Haynes manual good enough to help walk me through the repair? Also, would it be wise to change the clutch while in there. It does have about 85,000 miles on it. Any idea how much parts would run for something like this? Thanks again.

cferr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well, its only been about a week since I noticed this noise and it has gotten remarkably louder. Anybody had a clutch job or throwout bearing replaced lately and know how much I can expect with parts and labor?

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
It's A LOT of labor. Parts aren't too bad.

If you have a spare vehicle, this is a decent DIY. But it will easily take a whole weekend to R/R the transmission the first time.

The only special tool is the (very cheap) clutch release tool. A transmission jack (even the cheap platform jacks Harbor Freight sells) is advisible, but you can do without it (it's an aluminum transmission and isn't nearly as heavy as you might expect -- around 80 lbs empty with no transfer case attached). The centering tool comes with just about every clutch kit (and you don't REALLY need it, though it is a good idea). I recommend picking up a reman flywheel, clutch kit, AND slave. Consider replacing the rear main seal if there is the slightest hint of it leaking.

Keep in mind that this noise MAY be the pilot bearing, particularly if it doesn't make the noise in neutral with the clutch down. But you really should replace that anyway (it comes in most clutch kits).

cferr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks MAKG for the response.
This is kinda what I was wanting to hear. Really thinking about trying to do this myself. Just wasn't sure. You covered a lot of the questions I would have asked next.
Thanks again.

cferr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well, I had the trans checked out today, and it needs a complete clutch job. Not including master or slave cylinder, $750-$800. Was wanting to do this myself, but I think it may be over my skill level.
Does this price sound about right? I was thinking it would be less. This is from a transmission shop.
Thanks

Bent Bolt

Ford Technician
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Supercharged 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Depends on where you live but the price you were quoted sounds fair to me.

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
around here its about $500-600 but you will probably only have $100-150 in parts

cferr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the reply Bent,
I'm in south Louisiana. This price does include resurfacing the flywheel at a machine shop also. I just figured about $500, maybe $600 at the most.
Anybody else had this repair done lately and will comment on what you paid?
Thanks

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
Back in 2002 I paid a little over $450 for a complete clutch job from Pep-Boyz. Granted they had the truck FOREVER, but they did a good job. I have done it myself once since then when I swapped out trannies. I will never pay someone again. It is a gravy job.

michowski

Reaction score
cost me about 230 total. My zoom clutch kit cost that much and it took 2 days to do. First day taking it apart and replacing the clutch, getting flywheel cut. 2nd day putting it all back together and test driving. My advice is take your time, dont rush anything. Do it right the first time even if you gotta take a couple extra days. Nothing is gonna suck more then getting it all put back together and then all the sudden you put something together wrong and its gonna take a few more days to tear it all apart and fix it lol.

cferr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Didn't realize pepboys would do a clutch job. Was there a decent warranty with their work? I'm gonna give them a call tomorrow just to see if they will give me a quote over the phone. A lot of the shops around here won't give quotes over the phone. They want you to come in so they can knock you up for a diagnostic fee. I already know what needs to be fixed from the shop that has already checked the truck out, just need some quotes.

cferr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Michowski,
Doing the job myself is what I actually wanted to do. But I can see myself having problems, and not being able to finish the job in time. This is my daily commuter. I believe if I had a second person with some mechanical skills to help, then I would definitely give it a try. But for now, I'm gonna go with a shop.
I know it is not always about getting the best deal. You get what you pay for. I'm just wanting to make sure this isn't an unheard of price for this kind of job. Not sure what I will do if after they open it up and say more stuff needs to be changed for xxx amount of money. I always worry about things ending up costing way more than expected. That increase, on top of an already high bill, could be devastating.
Well, just wish me luck. I will return once fixed for all others that may need this info.
Thanks

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Honestly, if you're paying someone $700 to R/R the transmission, replace the slave and pilot bearing. If these guys claim it's more than an additional 15 minutes of work, they are TAKING YOU TO THE CLEANERS and I'd strongly suggest not letting them turn a single bolt.

Removing and replacing a slave from a transmission that's on a bench is the VERY simple removal of four directly-accessible bolts. That's it. The pilot bearing is coming out anyway if the flywheel is being resurfaced, so putting a new one in is absolutely no additional work.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals