• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Tranny problem seeing if you anyone can help me...

cgrand8907

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
i recently just bought a 1998 Ranger with a 5.0 swap from a 1997 Explorer. They swapped the motor and trans(the 4R70W trans) into the ranger. My problem is the tranny only works in reverse right now, and i have no clue to what do. i was seeing if anyone could point in my the right direction. I drained the fluid out and it smelt kinda burnt if that helps at all. thanks.

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
What color was the fluid? Nice bright red or brown? If it smells burnt then something is slipping somewhere. I don't think you are going to find a easy band-aid fix for that. You might be looking at minimum a soft rebuild.

Matt

281Ranger

September STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.6 dohc
Transmission
Automatic
If you need help with a 4R70W go here:
http://forums.tccoa.com/forumdisplay.php?f=955

It's the 4R70W forum (that's right, a whole forum of it's own) over at TCCOA. They'll be able to tell you what might be causing your problems. Don't forget to search first before asking questions.

cgrand8907

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
the fluid is a light brown color
thanks for that link

V8RangerBoy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Is this the built 5.0 Ranger from YouTube? I've only seen two other Rangers aside from mine with the Explorer 5.0 swap done without being hackjobs; I know that Ranger was a '98 Stepside with the 4R70W behind it, and it was for sale for quite a while. Is this that pickup? Just curious.

On your question: typically burnt fluid + any kind of slippage/immobility = smoked tranny.

Last edited:

cgrand8907

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
it could be i would need to see the youtube video
its a pretty nice truck but the kid i bought it from messed up the tranny so i got the truck for dirt cheap

V8RangerBoy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
That truck had Edelbrock intake, heads, etc - it'd been recammed and everything else. Good running little pickup. Single cab, stepside, had Cobra wheels on it.

cgrand8907

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
this has a trickflow intake on it, afr heads, and i think it has a cm in it. it doesnt have cobra wheels it has bullits on it, but this could be that truck

V8RangerBoy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hmm apparently not. It's also a 347. Mean pickup. Search up "Ranger beats SRT-10" or something and you'll find it.

cgrand8907

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
i will make sure i post some videos and send you a link when i get this truck rolling, the conversion was done really cleanly

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
i recently just bought a 1998 Ranger with a 5.0 swap from a 1997 Explorer. They swapped the motor and trans(the 4R70W trans) into the ranger. My problem is the tranny only works in reverse right now, and i have no clue to what do. i was seeing if anyone could point in my the right direction. I drained the fluid out and it smelt kinda burnt if that helps at all. thanks.
Seeing as you didn't mention the computer, could be that's the problem. It controls the transmission functions. Back when my 95 E150's E4OD went haywire, it was the fact that I'd changed the tire sizes too many times and it screwed with the transmission's operation with regards to the speedo input. That was all tied in with the 4 wheel antilock brakes.

cgrand8907

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
i will check that out thanks

V8RangerBoy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Eh, I wouldn't imagine the computer at all. The burnt, light brown tranny fluid you drained out tells a pretty sad story usually.

Had the computer been wrong, the truck wouldn't run right at all. I don't see a 5.0 running on a 3.0/4.0L computer. Ever. All of the 5.0 Explorer swaps I've seen use the Explorer computer, hands down. I don't think you could do it another way.

Did you pick the truck up cheap because it never had forward gears, or have you driven it before?

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Eh, I wouldn't imagine the computer at all. The burnt, light brown tranny fluid you drained out tells a pretty sad story usually.

Had the computer been wrong, the truck wouldn't run right at all.
:rolleyes:Then you've never run across this problem. When my van went haywire, the transmission went berserk. The speedo didn't work either. Without input from the 4 wheel antilock brakes, the computer can't tell the transmission what to do and when to do it. The engine ran fine.

Bent Bolt

Ford Technician
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Supercharged 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
It's not a PCM problem. No forward means burnt forward clutch. Period. You can take a 4R70W , disconnect the electronic connector and still have forward and reverse.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals