• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

09 FX4 Rock Slider Build, Small Lift & Theory

AGrayEngineering

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Unlike a normal person I'm actually happy the "newness" of my 09 FX4 is wearing off. For 2 1/2 years now I've been resisting the temptation to mess with a perfectly good truck. Now that I've taken it easy on it for 60k miles it's time to have some fun.

Although I drive 70 miles a day and 4 wheel with a custom buggy I occasionally need to brave the trails to go hunting, help a friend or tow the buggy home.

That in mind I started the modification last night: 1" torsion bar crank in the front & add a leaf in the rear.

I have a theory on truck modifications and they're purpose.
Like most of us I started wheelin' with a beater truck, mine happen to be a $100 dollar 88 Ranger 4x4 with a 5spd & limited slip. By far the best $100 bucks I ever spent. With a limited budget I installed homemade body lift, washer lift on the TTB coils & spacer blocks in the back, tossed on some BFG M/T knockoffs, new flow master muffler, lights, used winch, truck toolbox, come-a-longs, high jacks, chain, straps, all sorts of "wheelin' stuff". It wasn't until I got stuck or layed it up against a tree did I realize that all the money spent on the stereotypical mods would have been better spent on more functional modifications. As they say hindsight is always 20/20. If I could do it over I would have traded that used POS winch for some sturdy fabricated bumpers, something that wouldn't bend when I needed a tow. Or given up my lights & stereo for a good set of rock sliders, they would have given me protection & a place to high jack from. With these and many other lessons under my belt I decided to try it again with my new truck. I'll get down off my soap box now & we can get to the good stuff.

Here's my plan for rock sliders.

legoms013

09/2013 OTOTM
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Whats the wall on the square tubing? Looks like too much metal to me. Consider weight as your enemy offroad, and the less of it you have the better off you will be. That's my hindsight advice.

I'd consider just using more round tube like you used for the outside rail, for the inside rail as well instead of the square stuff.

You gonna weld them or bolt them to the frame?

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
Way too much extra weight there, Bro. Google rock sliders and look for Images and see how they are built and follow that idea. You will be much happier and use less metal.

Bray D

2012 UA Ranger
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
They look good to me. I'd go 3/16" max wall thickness on the (2x4?) rectangle and .120" wall on the tube. I know of guys using up to 1/4" wall for the main member, but that's a bit overkill IMO.

If you wheel like you should be, they take a LOT of abuse. I built mine out of sch 80 pipe (.179" wall thickness) and I just bent them last weekend. I can't open my passenger side door. Granted, I beat the piss out of my sliders, but you get the point.

I'll be building new ones similar to yours. Don't let these guys scare you into building weak sliders.

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
Another thing to consider is using thinner material and plating the bottom. I'd cap the ends too.

AGrayEngineering

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'll most likely make brackets & bold them on, expecting to have the truck for YEARS I like the idea of being able to take them off with out cutting & re-welding.

As for material selection, it's more like what I've got in the shop. I've got extra the 2x4x1/8 is leftover from a flatbed I fabricated for a guy over the summer and the 1" pipe is also left-overs.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals