• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Guidlines for welding on your truck

AlaskanRider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hello, I'm going to be welding some brackets on my truck sometime in the near future, and have alot of ideas.

But i'm scared to weld on my truck. The welding part is OK, I have a few hundred hours of experience (not a great welder, but somewhat confident). Im just wondering about my sensors and everything.

I read in the magazine,

When welding on the truck, please note to disconnect the battery and unplug any modules that your truck may use. Just disconnecting the battery is not enough. The electrical system on your truck is very sensitive to spikes, hence the use of fuses and breakers. A welder uses a lot more amps than the system is used to seeing. You could end up frying any one of the modules. Not a good thing if you’re just making a small patch job. It’ll make the frustration level increase. Also check for harnesses and lines running inside the frame channel. Make sure that these are moved out of the way of the welding. A melted harness or a broken brake line would be bad. Fuel lines tend to be bad when heat is applied to them. Can we say Darwin candidate?
but is there anything anyone can add to this? Has anyone followed the above and still damaged something?

I was working with a miner this summer on his washing plant, and he was using his excavator as a hoist for some particularly heavy piece. After it was all welded up, the next time he tried to start it the starter was bad, and he SWORE that the welder was what did it.

On a side note, I saw a really cool setup on pirate 4x4 in the TTB jeep thread.

Anyone know who's truck this is? I would enjoy reading more about it. I like how the brackets mount on the frame. Nice and simple.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
i just welded some stuff to my frame. i disconnected the battery and starting laying beads. everything seems to be fine. if anything, i hope it makes my CEL go off....lol

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
put the ground as close to the work as possible and you should have no problem.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
I welded a bunch on my old 88 and never disconnected the battery, I just put the negative cable right next to the work. Never had any troubles.

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
put the ground as close to the work as possible and you should have no problem.
THIS.

Electricity will ALWAYS follow the path of least resistance. So once it hits your ground clamp, that's where it stops. Problems arise when it passes through or maybe past a sensor. I've welded exhausts before, never disconnected anything, never had a problem.

I try to take a grinding wheel to my ground clamp spot too, nice fresh metal to metal.

*edit: just to be %100, super-duper clear, don't use your sensors as grounds :icon_welder:

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
WAIT A SECOND.... you're suppose to disconnect the battery?????

hahahahaha. j/k i know that. however, i NEVER do it on my own rig. i do on other people's rigs or when i'm working at the shop on semi's.

legoms013

09/2013 OTOTM
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
I've always just disconnected the battery, and put the ground close to the work piece after grinding a shiny spot. Never had any issues.

AlaskanRider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the replies, I totally missed that other thread somehow. I guess it's not as much as an issue as I feared. Must have been a bad starter on the excavator.

legoms013

09/2013 OTOTM
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Another couple tips I find useful:

If you are welding something really thick or with alot of material to it (think 1" think weld on d-loop mounts) I like to preheat the thick stuff first with a torch. Makes for better penetration. 1/4" and down I usually don't preheat. But things like axle housings, d-loop mounts, and generally thick steel I like to heat up to not-touchable by hand...and I have found in my experiences to get a better weld.

And I usually take a flapper disc equipped grinder wheel to both surfaces to be welded, to get any contaminants off first.

Happy :icon_welder:

Ormachek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Another couple tips I find useful:

If you are welding something really thick or with alot of material to it (think 1" think weld on d-loop mounts) I like to preheat the thick stuff first with a torch. Makes for better penetration. 1/4" and down I usually don't preheat. But things like axle housings, d-loop mounts, and generally thick steel I like to heat up to not-touchable by hand...and I have found in my experiences to get a better weld.

And I usually take a flapper disc equipped grinder wheel to both surfaces to be welded, to get any contaminants off first.

Happy :icon_welder:

Pre heat is a good idea on heavy stuff for sure. Pre heat should be applied to mild steel 1" thick and up, but penetration isn't the main point (more of a welcome side effect, it definately welds nicer), its to prevent the weld from cracking. When you weld heavy, cold steel, the surrounding metal sucks the heat out of the weld very quickly, when the weld cools too rapidly it can crack.

For heavy steel I like to preheat (usually around 200 degrees F, too hot to touch), then weld with either stick (7018) or flux-core (ideally the good gas shielded kind). Leave the slag on as it cools, or even throw an insulating blanket over it if necessary.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals