• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

mass air flow sensor

Dead Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
does anyone know how to test the maf for sure? i am running rough and have been through the tuneup stuff. i just bought the truck and at first it wouldnt run, it did the maf thing where if you try to rev the motor it just dies. unplug the maf and it runs okay but it is rough. i cleaned the maf, plugged it back in and it ran, still rough. 100 miles later, it dies on the way to work (shitohdearwhatnow) unplug the maf and it runs (still rough). i really suspect the maf i just dont wanna plunk down the dough unless i am sure.

this is hard for me, im a carburetor and points kinda guy

ca1rangers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
3.0L with 237K miles
Transmission
Automatic
Did the check enginge light come on? If so whats the code?

Dead Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
that's the other scary thing, no check engine light i dont have a code reader gonna get one of the ebay ones, but yeah, i thot fer sure that the cel wuold come on, specially when i unplug the sensor

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
if the CEL didnt come on after unplugging the sensor, then the bulb is probably burnt out.

your maf is almost assuredly bad, but there are ways to test the maf by back-probing the mafs connector....unfortunately i couldnt tell you what the specs are.

Dead Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
went to the graveyard and pulled a maf off a taurus still run lousy scept idles at 1500 what is the check guage light? btw, thank you for your input. i doan wanna pull the dash apart for a burned out light.

bikerboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
if you turn your key to the ON position with the engine off you should have a light that says "check engine" or a picture of a engine. both would be yellow and i believe it would say "check engine. that is how you are to test the bulb.

sparky

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
A haynes book should show you what wires to probe and what readings you should have on the wires.

almostclueless

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
A haynes book should show you what wires to probe and what readings you should have on the wires.
Haynes manuals blow donkeys....they aren't going to have any meaningful information on MAF voltage specs.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals