• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.2 Color me impressed

Robert_1967

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302/2.9
Transmission
Automatic
I just got done replacing the 4.2 in a 98 F150 4x4 for a friend of mine, the engine I took out had aluminum heads, and the one going back in has iron heads (don't know if this makes a difference), but any how, after a lot of cussing, bruises, cuts and smashed fingers, I got the new engine bolted in, all the "stuff" hooked up, and said a small prayer, then started the truck, it stated right up, but sounded like a diesel engine with all the lifters clicking, I checked the oil pressure, it was fine, and after the engine warmed up, the lifters went quiet, I took the truck out around the block, and I have to say, this thing has some power, a lot more then my father-in-laws 4.0, and a whole lot more then my 2.9, this f150 is a auto trans, and 4x4, and it spun the wheels from a dead stop, and then "barked" the tires when it shifted in to 2nd.

I can see why some would consider putting this engine in a Ranger or BII, it has decent mpg, and for a heavy truck some nice power.

I did notice the extra set of butterflies in the intake and wondered why those where there, and also why the engine had the funny looking bar above the cam, but after I got a Haynes manual, all of my questions where answered.

Robert

posted from my laptop

stegomon

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987/1990
Make / Model
fords and only
Transmission
Manual
the 4.2 is a stroked 3.8 and shares the bell housing with a 302....and i think way back then it did run on a carb and a duraspark....so slap a carb on the 4.0 that you took out and start swapping

Robert_1967

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302/2.9
Transmission
Automatic
OK, now I'm confused, I didn't take a 4.0 out, the 98 had a 4.2, the person has a bad habit of not changing his oil, there was 5 inches of sludge in the oil pan, that is why I took the 4.2 out and replaced it with another 4.2, but the new one has iron heads, not aluminum heads.

Robert

hondaxr650

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
OK, now I'm confused, I didn't take a 4.0 out, the 98 had a 4.2, the person has a bad habit of not changing his oil, there was 5 inches of sludge in the oil pan, that is why I took the 4.2 out and replaced it with another 4.2, but the new one has iron heads, not aluminum heads.

Robert
The heads on the engine you put in might be corroded and look like iron but if it's a 4.2, it's got aluminum heads.......

Robert_1967

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302/2.9
Transmission
Automatic
No, these heads are iron, and it's a newly rebuilt engine, I know they are iron, because a magnet will stick to them.

but anyhow, this little 4.2 runs really nice, I might have to find me one for my Ranger.

Robert

shovelmike

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Got some go power there!

That sounds like a lively little engine there, can't blame you at all for wanting to swap one in.

stegomon

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987/1990
Make / Model
fords and only
Transmission
Manual

Robert
it hit the "0" instead of the "2" by mistake. sorry to confuse you on that one

mp3deviant721

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l of fury
Transmission
Manual
Well, if the 4.2 that you took out is reusable, just rebuild it and use it in your truck. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work.

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
the 4.2 is a stroked 3.8 and shares the bell housing with a 302....
Thats more info that I was looking for. But does this mean that the 4.2 and the 3.8 share the same bellhousing pattern?

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
quite familiar with ford powertrains and installing them into rangers.

i was telling the kid to quit thinking of swapping a 4.2 before he even starts.

Slipknotyk_Chyld

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
i was telling the kid to quit thinking of swapping a 4.2 before he even starts.
Is there any particular reason why? What all would accompany such a swap?

There are easier ways around the exhaust issue I've heard brought up than notching the frame. Custom headers can always make the install a little easier. Exhaust wrap and a custom heat shield would keep underhood temps nice and low.

I'm wondering if this would be a better swap for me, looking at a 2wd ranger. The 4.2 has more torque than a stock 5.0, and a little more horsepower than a 4.0 SOHC. If it's actually true that it shares the bellhousing with a 5.0, it would be great for the T56 swap. SuperSix Motorsports has all the performance parts you can want for this motor. I'm just sure someone installing this motor would want the F150 motor and not the FWD minivan motor that has a different bellhousing pattern.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
Is there any particular reason why? What all would accompany such a swap?

There are easier ways around the exhaust issue I've heard brought up than notching the frame. Custom headers can always make the install a little easier. Exhaust wrap and a custom heat shield would keep underhood temps nice and low.

I'm wondering if this would be a better swap for me, looking at a 2wd ranger. The 4.2 has more torque than a stock 5.0, and a little more horsepower than a 4.0 SOHC. If it's actually true that it shares the bellhousing with a 5.0, it would be great for the T56 swap. SuperSix Motorsports has all the performance parts you can want for this motor. I'm just sure someone installing this motor would want the F150 motor and not the FWD minivan motor that has a different bellhousing pattern.
kid is getting add....i did not want him to get side tracked

if you want a 4.2......have at it.:icon_thumby:

and if the kid wants a 4.2.....have at it.

more torque then a 5.0? what 5.0 are you referring too? 79 granada? minivan 4.2 motor should be workable with a 3.0 ranger trans as well....

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals