• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

under $200 mig and flux wire welders

1986fordranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986/1999
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3l/4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
hey all i am looking to buy a flux wire or mig welder some time soon , so i have been reading and watching some videos and i have came to the conclusion that to fit my budget $200 or less i have two choices 1 is a harbor freight 90 amp flux wire welder www.harborfreight.com/90-amp-flux-wire-98871.html , or 2 a northen tool 125 amp flux wire welder www.northentool.com/shop/tools/product_200403263_200403263 , what my future plans are to weld some sheet metal probably 18 gauge and some plate steel nothing really thick , really i am just looking for something to lern with and have some fun fooling around , any comments and any other options would be great , thanks

2813josh

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6,4.0
Transmission
Manual
Hmmm, wish I could help. I'm actually kicking around the same idea. I would think the Northern would be a little better just because of the higher amp rating but I really don't know much about welding. Tractor Supply has one on their website for 130 bucks. Jobsmart. Don't know how good the quality is though. My dad got one of the Hobart welders from there for a few hundred I think and It seems to work pretty well and it can also be set up for gas.. I dunno that probably doesn't help much I'm just thinking with ya, ha edit: here's a link http://www.tractorsupply.com/welding-metalworking/welders/mig-welding/mig-welders/jobsmart-reg-125-amp-mig-fluxcore-welder-1128762

Last edited:

1986fordranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986/1999
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3l/4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
Hmmm, wish I could help. I'm actually kicking around the same idea. I would think the Northern would be a little better just because of the higher amp rating but I really don't know much about welding. Tractor Supply has one on their website for 130 bucks. Jobsmart. Don't know how good the quality is though. My dad got one of the Hobart welders from there for a few hundred I think and It seems to work pretty well and it can also be set up for gas.. I dunno that probably doesn't help much I'm just thinking with ya, ha edit: here's a link http://www.tractorsupply.com/welding-metalworking/welders/mig-welding/mig-welders/jobsmart-reg-125-amp-mig-fluxcore-welder-1128762
thanks for the link , yeah i would like to get a hobart someday i just can't justify paying $300 or $400 for a welder when i have not even ever tryed welding

Iron Ranger

Run lil' ricer RUN!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
0.040 punched 302
Transmission
Manual
hey all i am looking to buy a flux wire or mig welder some time soon , so i have been reading and watching some videos and i have came to the conclusion that to fit my budget $200 or less i have two choices 1 is a harbor freight 90 amp flux wire welder www.harborfreight.com/90-amp-flux-wire-98871.html , or 2 a northen tool 125 amp flux wire welder www.northentool.com/shop/tools/product_200403263_200403263 , what my future plans are to weld some sheet metal probably 18 gauge and some plate steel nothing really thick , really i am just looking for something to lern with and have some fun fooling around , any comments and any other options would be great , thanks

Don't get either. In the field of welding supply, you really do get what you pay for. You'll be fighting these piles from day 1.

Yeah, a Hobart may cost $300-$400, but they are fantastic machines. Which means for beginners like yourself, it'll be much easier to operate.

I'm serious when I say don't buy either of those 2, though. You'll be throwing money away.

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah, those are crap. Keep an eye on craigslist and you can find something better.

1986fordranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986/1999
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3l/4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
Don't get either. In the field of welding supply, you really do get what you pay for. You'll be fighting these piles from day 1.

Yeah, a Hobart may cost $300-$400, but they are fantastic machines. Which means for beginners like yourself, it'll be much easier to operate.

I'm serious when I say don't buy either of those 2, though. You'll be throwing money away.
is the hobart handler 125 flux wire welder any good http://www.hobartwelders.com/products/handler125ez.html , from what i have read it seems its a fairly good quality and easey to use machine , i first looked at the hobart handler 140 but i only really need a 125 amp welder

Iron Ranger

Run lil' ricer RUN!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
0.040 punched 302
Transmission
Manual
is the hobart handler 125 flux wire welder any good http://www.hobartwelders.com/products/handler125ez.html , from what i have read it seems its a fairly good quality and easey to use machine , i first looked at the hobart handler 140 but i only really need a 125 amp welder
I had a Hobart 140 for 6 years and used it well. I can say that it's been the best welder for home projects I've ever used. It's pretty lightweight, small, and most importantly, runs very smooth.

If you do get a 125, don't get an E-Z model. Get the regular one so that you can MIG or flux-core weld(plus, you can fine tune the machine much better).

aspevacek

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Spend the extra and ge tthe 140 it is a great little welder. I picked one up and love the little thing. It is nice to have the choice to use flux core fore thicker stuff or go to a sheild gas for nicer looking welds.

1986fordranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986/1999
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3l/4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
I had a Hobart 140 for 6 years and used it well. I can say that it's been the best welder for home projects I've ever used. It's pretty lightweight, small, and most importantly, runs very smooth.

If you do get a 125, don't get an E-Z model. Get the regular one so that you can MIG or flux-core weld(plus, you can fine tune the machine much better).
yeah i was questioning if i wanted a machine that i can't fine tune , how hard is it to lern to mig welding?, i have herd its pretty easey , but i have never done any welding , just never had time

Spend the extra and get the 140 it is a great little welder. I picked one up and love the little thing. It is nice to have the choice to use flux core fore thicker stuff or go to a sheild gas for nicer looking welds.
yeah i guess if i am going to drop $350 then i might aswell spend a extra 150 and get a machine that can do most anything i would ever need welded , plus i would not have to upgrade in 2 years

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
check craigslist for used welders, you'll find a better deal, you have to be on it as the good ones at good prices go FAST like everything else on there...

I've seen some nice fabrication done with Harbor Freight's higher end mig welder... there's coupons all the time for $175ish

1986fordranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986/1999
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3l/4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
check craigslist for used welders, you'll find a better deal, you have to be on it as the good ones at good prices go FAST like everything else on there...

I've seen some nice fabrication done with Harbor Freight's higher end mig welder... there's coupons all the time for $175ish
ok i will watch craigslist and see what i can find , the only real thing that keeps me from buying a welder thats on craigslist is i don't really know how to weld thrus i would not really know how to test it , yeah i will have to check out hf and see if they have a higher end mig but one that still can be ran off 110volts being that i don't have a 220 line , thanks guys

Iron Ranger

Run lil' ricer RUN!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
0.040 punched 302
Transmission
Manual
yeah i was questioning if i wanted a machine that i can't fine tune , how hard is it to lern to mig welding?, i have herd its pretty easey , but i have never done any welding , just never had time
It's definitely the best machine, in my mind, for a beginner. It's not really hard to learn, just takes practice.

2813josh

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6,4.0
Transmission
Manual
Damn there's a Hobart 140 near me for 200...wish I had the money lol. Kinda thread jackin but I have a question. Is there any advantage to gettin a 220v for just welding around the house? A 110 should be plenty right? I want to make some bumpers after I'm confident enough in my welding....and after I find a welder of course

aspevacek

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
I loive in a town house with only a 220v circuit fo rthe dryer, I am not paying to ha vestuff added to the place so I picked up a 110v welder to hold me ove rtill I buy a new house next summer. I would say you can safely weld 3/16 plate with the handler 140. Not sur eon the out put of the other units out there runnign off 110v.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
if you get some good size wire for an extension cord you can run off of the drier plug, that's what my friend does...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals