• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ranger audio

fastmaxx400

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Hi, I am new to car audio and these forums. I have a few questions about upgrading the audio in my ranger. I own a 2002 ranger 4.0 supercab. The truck came with the mach mp3 player. I like the sound of the stock speakers and love the mp3 cd compatability, but i would like more bass. I am on a limited budget and I am not looking to impress anyone, just get some better sound. I would like to keep the mach mp3 setup, but just add a sub. I have been looking at subs like this I was wondering if i could get this to work? I have a little knowledge on electronics and car audio but it is very limited, I am no expert. Would I need an amp for this setup or is it built in? Do I need to upgrade wiring or anything? How would i go about installing this in my ranger? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Kevin

Last edited:

Pistons23

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
or if you want to add a seperate sub/amp setup, make sure the amp you choose has the speaker level inputs. 150-300w fed to a nice 10" sub would be nice.

Muddycowboy

GOT MUD?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
you can buy a converter at walmart to change the amplified signal to a non amplified signal. it looks like a little blue translucent box. put one with my mach mp3, just splice it into the speaker harness and it has AV cable out puts for you amp. made life really simple!

fastmaxx400

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
thanks for the help!
Where would I put the converter, do i have to take out the radio and put it behind there?

Muddycowboy

GOT MUD?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
mine is just sitting on top of the radio inside the dash. you can buy the tool too pull the radio at walmart to looks like a piece of wire bent into a U shape with some notches on the end its like a couple bucks but it beats trying to use nails, those take like an hour to get the radio out lol. but anyway when you get the convertor you will have to tune the gain in on it so you will be pulling the radio in and out alot to make it sound just right. thats where the tools come in really handy. i can get some pics up here in a few ill go out and take them.

fastmaxx400

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
What kind of connections are on the back of the head unit? I am still very interested in that sub that i posted the link to. Does it have rca outputs? The sub has inputs for rca and speaker outputs. I really just want to make this a simple job. Thanks for all the help.

Kevin

Muddycowboy

GOT MUD?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
just wires. the convertor has rca's and wire inputs and out puts that can be mixed and matched. if your hooking up an amp tho ya have to convert the signal from amplified to non amplified. unless the amp can take amplified signal then just splice and run signal off a speaker near the amp.

fastmaxx400

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
thats good, it says that you can connect it from the speaker wires. I think I am going to go that route. Thanks again

beau11x

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I would definatley go to the nearest best buy and wait for a deal on two CVR 10's you could easily get them for 100$ (both of them)

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
It would be much easier to tap into the speaker wiring right at the rear speakers. The speakers are super easy to remove and close the subs, so you won't have to run as much wire. If you buy an amp with speaker-level inputs, simply run speaker wire from the rear speakers to the amp. If your amp does not have speaker-level inputs, then buy the converter that Muddycowboy mentioned.

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I would definatley go to the nearest best buy and wait for a deal on two CVR 10's you could easily get them for 100$ (both of them)
haha, funny you should mention it, my best buy discontinued them, i got them for $15 a piece, i bought all 14 they had left LOL

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals