• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Axial Wraith Build

06RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Bought the kit Oct 9th, in the roller kit package.

Unboxing:

assembly:

as it sits a day later:

My plans are,
winch
accessory kit
spare mounted in back
LED lights
battery in front

making this into a crawler only. 55T motor, dynamite ESC, hightec 645mg servo, traxxas 2.4 reciever with traxxas link, 2.2 superswampers on bead locks.

want to stay under $550 total. have about 450 into it now.

:icon_welder:

will update when things happen. will test run it for the first time tomorrow. Pictures soon.

James86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,
Ford,
Engine Size
3.0 Flex Fuel, 2.5L, 3.3 Flex Fuel
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
WHY DO I KEEP BUYING DODGES?!?!?
Saw "Wraith" and expected either this:

Or this:

:icon_twisted::icon_rofl:

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
I like that the kit comes with beadlocks, I don't like the glued on tires in the RTR version.

06RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I like that the kit comes with beadlocks, I don't like the glued on tires in the RTR version.
actually i bought these. it comes with glued ones. they are too hard for crawling. hey, i need more torque, but i dont want to lose too much speed. running a 55t axial, a 20t 48 pitch with a 80t spur. im thinking drop it to a 16t/80t will help?

its an awesome kit. it makes my scx10 look very incapable. i love my scx10, but i may put it together and sell it. not sure yet. its been well used so idk what it would be worth. maybe 200.

gribly

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Honda
Engine Size
K20A3
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, you'll be good to go with the gearing change. More importantly, how are you charging and storing your batteries? I have probably $250 into my charger and I don't buy batteries that are less than $8/cell. Leave Ni-MH packs fully charged when stored, and monitor voltage once a week when they are stored in cold temperatures - they prefer warm weather. Store Ni-Cd in the freezer fully discharged, and cycle them (charge, cool, discharge, cool, charge, cool) when you want to use them for optimum voltage.

gribly

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Honda
Engine Size
K20A3
Transmission
Manual
I upgraded to those same style beadlocks in 2.2 for my Bronco - they're a real pain to get the bead seated with the Flat Irons. I have one that didn't seat quite right, and I filled it with water last time I ran the 2.2's. That's something else I need to do on Wednesday when I convert my SCX chassis to 2 6-cells in parallel. I see a second fried steering servo in my near future - it'll be nice when I can afford one of the Hitec BB Metal Gear Super Torque servos. I also switched to a stick radio last week, old school.

06RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
im sure the battery is wearing out. its been randomly used for over a year. lasts like 1.5 hrs though. im gonna go grab the wraith and tinker with the gearing. also, need to get a metal steering link. the plastic sucks. oh, cooked my hightec 645mg servo today. so im in the market for a new high torque. might go all out with digital.

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
I've got a Hobbico CS-170 servo in my rig, it's a rebadged Hi-Tech 5955. Titanium gears and 333 oz-in@6v. $90.

When it comes time, consider a Holmes Hobbies handwound motor. I've got a 30t and it's got huge amounts of torque and decent wheel speed for a 2s LiPo.

gribly

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Honda
Engine Size
K20A3
Transmission
Manual
You cooked a 645? Dang, that's the one I was going to get since they're cheaper. How's it go out? I killed one plastic gear hitec (well, my friend did it when he rolled my truck off of large rock and it hit nose first) and I destroyed the stock axial metal gear servo's main bearing after a year of use, and am down to one remaining hitec standard servo. I'm going to sell my brushless revo to put money into my axial I think, since any spare cash from my job ends up going towards my Mazda build.

gribly

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Honda
Engine Size
K20A3
Transmission
Manual
...Wait, THE Battery? As in one? I know they are expensive, but ya need a few of them. I have 2 dedicated to my Axial and 2 dedicated to my Traxxas Bandit. It's nice to go for a hike up a mountain and take my truck. When the first battery goes flat - I swap packs and head back. Makes for an entertaining 3 hour hike.

06RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I've got a Hobbico CS-170 servo in my rig, it's a rebadged Hi-Tech 5955. Titanium gears and 333 oz-in@6v. $90.

When it comes time, consider a Holmes Hobbies handwound motor. I've got a 30t and it's got huge amounts of torque and decent wheel speed for a 2s LiPo.
im running 55 turn, and its still not enough power. i have a 2s lipo, but i dont want to put out for a lipo cut off esc.

You cooked a 645? Dang, that's the one I was going to get since they're cheaper. How's it go out? I killed one plastic gear hitec (well, my friend did it when he rolled my truck off of large rock and it hit nose first) and I destroyed the stock axial metal gear servo's main bearing after a year of use, and am down to one remaining hitec standard servo. I'm going to sell my brushless revo to put money into my axial I think, since any spare cash from my job ends up going towards my Mazda build.
ran the servo in my scx10 for about 30 minutes through a swamp. cooked my servo, motor and receiver. never again. good servo, but i want more power.

...Wait, THE Battery? As in one? I know they are expensive, but ya need a few of them. I have 2 dedicated to my Axial and 2 dedicated to my Traxxas Bandit. It's nice to go for a hike up a mountain and take my truck. When the first battery goes flat - I swap packs and head back. Makes for an entertaining 3 hour hike.
yea need more batts. ive gotta save up like $500 and just get everything i need. i run 5100milla NiMh by dynamite. beautiful battery. ill probably get 2 new ones. i also run deans, so need a soldiering iron.

with the wraith, i want the following:

Winch
high torque digital servo
full light kit
metal steering links
4 channel 2.4 transmitter (have receiver)
roof lights kit would be sweet
im mainly going for the looks, since its scale.

also, having a problem with sticky shocks. the tend to stick closed, and wont allow the springs to extend them.

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
im running 55 turn, and its still not enough power. i have a 2s lipo, but i dont want to put out for a lipo cut off esc.
You'd be surprised, I bet my handwound 30t has more balls than that 55t. It easily slips the clutch without much throttle when bound up. I've got an Axial AE-2 ESC that I took out of my rig...

06RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
my AE-2 didnt last long in my axial. actually it toast in the first day. ill also try my venom 55t in it soon.

gribly

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Honda
Engine Size
K20A3
Transmission
Manual
The less turns on the armature = less resistance. Less resistance = more amperage. That's why your speed control motor limit is a low number, like 15 or so on the regular ones. BUT, with the low turn, high powered motors, you gain a LOT of rpm and lose significant torque. That's why there's these crawler motors that are 45+ turns that have actually only hit the market in the last few years. Used to be I'd have to run a 27 turn motor and gear it way, way down. If you want power, ditch the crawler motor altogether and get like a 19 turn single wind mod motor and gear it way down. Don't be surprised when you snap axle shafts, break wheels, tear the crawler tires to pieces, and bend frame parts, though.

EDIT - a 19 turn is a very mild motor, too. I'm running a 12 turn in my Bandit.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals