• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

tube bumper vs plate

86MUDRCJ

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have been thinking about what type I want I just haven't really decided. What are the pros and cons of each? I know tube is lighter but plate is stronger, but that's about all I know. Feel free to educate me because I kinda need to get the ball rolling. Thanks yall

crawlin91

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Have you ever worked with tube before? do you own or have access to a tube bender, notcher etc.? The notching can be done with a lot of patience and an angle grinder/chop saw but the bending part is kind of hard to get around without the proper tools. Will this be a front or rear bumper, are you going to run a receiver on it? Do you ever plan on mounting a winch to this bumper? What design do you like best? These might be things to consider before you buy. HREW tube is a lot cheaper than DOM...it is not as strong but will work fine for a bumper. Figure out what you want, check the prices of stuff at your local steel yard and go from there.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Tube (both round or square/rect.) is going to be MUCH more rigid than plate or open c-channel type stuff of the same weight (unless you were to build it into a box shape with plate on 4 sides).

I built mine using 2x2" and 2x4" box tubing (2x5" I used for the rear). They actually came out a fair bit lighter than the stock bumpers were, yet are much sturdier (I think I have pics in the Bumpers Sticky thread up top here).

86MUDRCJ

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have worked with tube and plate about the same, but i don't have all the tools to bend the tube. I do know a couple a people who have the stuff i don't so I can use theirs. As far as design i have liked both but i just cant find a design that incorporates both and looks decent. The rear bumper is going to have a receiver on it, and the front will have a winch on it and also lights wired up somewhere. Now, the price of each is pretty dang close since i know a guy that owns a steel yard and he gives me a pretty decent deal most of of the time.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals