• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Redrock

rockin86ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.0L,2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Figured i would start a small build thread, as i will hopefully be purchasing a second car so i can work on the Ranger. The motor has about all it can take, but with 250xxx miles i guess it's done well for having the snot beat out of it.

Plans
Repair rust in floor and front of cab
Install 302 and AOD from 1991 Lincoln Town Car
Add retro Camper shell
redo interior (custom bench and possible custom dash)
Custom Grill (still have a lot of ideas bouncing around on that)
Tail light mod (need to do more measuring for fitment reasons)
Tint windows
Add decent stereo system
Slight drop (3-4inches, more drastic drop later/bags)
Dual side exit exhaust
Restore Dealership back bumper
Straighten Body and repaint factory Red

Goal: be the king of the 80s

I'll have pics up shortly, truck is at my shop right now.

I picked up a 3 camper shells and a slide in camper for a truck for free, one camper will go on my 78chevy trailer, one will go on my 85 C30 crew cab and the other will go on the Ranger. It has all the windows and screen intact, even the 4 bubble windows and has a 3rd brake light, should look pretty old school on the ranger.

AgPete139

09/2014 OTOTM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
~9"
Tire Size
35"x12.50"x17"
Cool. Get pics when you can...

rockin86ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.0L,2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Sorry been busy all day, went into the shop but thinks have been slow. all i accomplished was pulling the vinyl flooring out and cleaning all the trash out. I put the camper shell on and it fit great, looks like it was designed for 1st/2nd gen rangers, the slant on the front matched the back of the cab perfectly. Unfortunately i had to go pick up a slide in truck camper which is a massive PITA when only 1 of the jacks works and the thing has been sitting for years. But 2 hrs later i have a camper sitting outside my house and ready to be scrapped.

I'll try to get pics thursday. i have classes tommorow and right after classes i have to go to church to help with the childrens program, which means i'll leave the house at 6:30 and be lucky to make it home by 10

rockin86ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.0L,2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Got a video to load if my phone ever updates, how do i embed videos on here? I should also have pics tommorow, was gonna get some today but didnt think cell phone pics would be worth it.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
hey, its friday... wheres pics?
lol

you can either upload it to photobucket or youtube and embed it here. for photobucket you can just use the code, for youtube you take whats after the = in the URL and put it in [ youtube] code goes here [ / youtube] but with no spaces. find a post that has a video in it, hit quote-- and you can see how they embedded it.

now that's w/ most given smart phones, idk what phone you have.

rockin86ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.0L,2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIneRfDlkRk

Technology officially hates me right now. My POS NOkia E-71 won't do anything ti suppose to, I highly suggest no one buys one of these 3people in my family have them and they are total crap. My laptop hasnt worked for weeks so im using my moms laptop.

Not the video i was gonna upload but since i can't get my phone to work i figued i would give yall something to watch while i try to straighten the pos out today.

Last edited:

rockin86ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.0L,2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Well still haven't gotten my phone straightened out, its the phone its self so i need to see if my warranty will get me a new phone.

Until then i figured i would give you a little background info on the truck. I bought it when i was 14 a few weeks before my 15 birthday, after searching the internet and papers with only 1 stipulation (it had to be a manual). I found this truck about 30miles from me, me and dad went out and looked the truck over (in the pitch black at 9pm) and i ended up forking over $550 not really knowing what i got. It needed a lot of little things like shifter bushings, plugs, wires, and some carb tweaking. I drove the truck for awhile until i got a 96 f-150 for a d.d and the ranger sat. I sold it a few months later to a friend of mine and it sat at his house for a few months until he totalled his nissan out (might add pics of the wreck just because its pretty freaking epic) and had to drive the ranger. The ranger was gone for about a year (sold mid way through senior year and bought it back about a year ago) and sometime in November of 2010 he called me and said the ranger is in the parking lot at wal-mart (where he works) it wont start $400 and its yours ( i could have got it for $200 but he needed money for a down payment on a new truck) I bought it without even having a second thought (can't let your first truck slip by). Put a timing belt on and was going again, did a tune up and drove it for awhile. The only upgrades it has is a cheapo $40 radio i got for christmas, some door speakers out of an 88 tempo sitting on/in the dash. I drove it to college for awhile but the 16mpg was killing me (that was being nice to it too) but the big decision came about 3 weeks ago when she lost all power going to school. Turned out the 3rd sparkplug came loose again (its only #3) i decided since i was pulling all the plugs anyways to do a compression check, the #1 cylinder only had 60 pounds and we didnt check the others. I tore the motor down last friday (9-30-11) and found it needed a full rebuild to be back in working order. After contemplating if i should swap in a 5.0l or rebuild the 2.0l i finally decided i should ditch the 2.0l and go efi 5.0l with and AOD out of a 1991 Lincoln Town Car (my neighbors parts car that im suppose to be getting for scrap price, unfortunately not a h.o but it will work for now)

Now I have to pull the old motor and trans out, and we are gonna pull the cab and front clip and drop the new motor in and paint the frame. Its gonna be a slow build due to poor college budget.

I'll try to get some pics with camera or get my phone working soon.

rockin86ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.0L,2.9L
Transmission
Automatic

This was taken for the Ranger Fun thread, it's actually taken from underneath the car I'm driving while building the Ranger. Its olso one of the most recent pics i have right now.

Ignore the POS tempo it's been crushed.

The only things tha have changed are the bumper was painted white(needs to be redone) it has center caps and a camper shell. It also has 1 beauty ring i need to figure out what happened to my other 3.

This is the license plate in the front window, IDK where it is now.

And the Corsica and Windstar have also been crushed, Miss the windstar glad the Corsica was gone. Windstar went about a week and a half before mom mentioned it making a noise, filled it with oil and 2 weeks later it threw a rod through the block.

cody93

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
80's old skool eh? ima like this, subscribbed!

rockin86ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.0L,2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
I also created a group on facebook, its "old school mini trucks", you should add yourselves to it and upload any pics you have of old school mini trucks lifted or lowered.

rockin86ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.0L,2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Finally found the cord for my phone so heres a couple of pics from a few months ago, and the video i promised. Should be able to get some more pics now that i have my cord.

(click pic for video)

Because rims that spin are getto.
And having a little fun in the body shop, put a bed side on an 06 chevy and fixed the tailgate, so i put this on the emblem before i painted it.

cody93

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
lol at ur knob, ive had to glue mine back on because it poped off, not once, not twice but 3x IN traffic, that was dicey...

rockin86ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.0L,2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Well havent got much done besides pulling the wiring harness and a few small things, got some pics which will hopefully be uploaded tommorow. Gonna try to get the motor and trans pulled tommorow if it ever stops raining, and if i have enough time (got a new toy to work on) Its a 1990 Ford Taurus SHO pulled it out of a friends barn after sitting for years ( think it needs a timing belt but havent been able to check it) If it needs to much work ill pull parts for my taurus and part it out then crush it. only gave $250 for it so figure i shouldnt have any problems making my money back if i need to much.

rockin86ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.0L,2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
got the SHO fired up, all i did was put a battery cable end on it and a shot of starting fluid and she fired right up and seems to run great and fires up everytime. Need to put some good gas in it put an alternator on it and it needs tires and tailights. alternator is gonna be 45 from jy, tailights about 50, and ill slap tires on that i have around or put the ones from my other taurus on it. also the back windows went down but wont go back up so need to play around and figure that out

So 250 for car
50 in gas to get car
4 tacos for battery terminal
and .05 for a shot of starting fluid

300.05 and 4 tacos for a running shot that almost everything works on.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals