• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

dropping this thing...

bradleykd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'99
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4cyl
Transmission
Manual
So I just got a '99 ranger 2wd. It needs to be lower. I've heard a lot of crazyness about ford rangers and i need to hear whats really goin on down there... Im lookin to do this thing cheap, i was plannin on cutting my springs up front and flippin the rears. I was plannin to cut for about a 3" drop up front. What kind of problems, if any, am i gonna run into in doing this? ps, i already hear a weird popping from what sounds like the ball joints when going over bumps... any info is appreciated.

bluovaldude

Reaction score
Popping sound is most likely ball joints. As for Cutting the coils in the front... It is really only recomended to cut 2in out to keep the stability on them, and for them to sit properly in the pockets.

Other than that, the only issue I see you running into is the camber on being right. The do hoewever sale camber adjustment bolts to help re-align the camber.

But I would actually recomend going with a complete drop kit if you are wanting to go that low. The DJM 4/5 drop kit is going to work the best for you.

That and almost everyone who drops there truck always wants to go lower. So to save you some time and hassle, Just my opinion, go with the kit.

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Popping sound is most likely ball joints. As for Cutting the coils in the front... It is really only recomended to cut 2in out to keep the stability on them, and for them to sit properly in the pockets.

Other than that, the only issue I see you running into is the camber on being right. The do hoewever sale camber adjustment bolts to help re-align the camber.

But I would actually recomend going with a complete drop kit if you are wanting to go that low. The DJM 4/5 drop kit is going to work the best for you.

That and almost everyone who drops there truck always wants to go lower. So to save you some time and hassle, Just my opinion, go with the kit.
x2

the back is simple enough todo, just do a spring under and a block and u will have a massive amount of drop in the back

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999 Ford Range
Transmission
Automatic
dropping3-4 inches

I have a 1999 ranger 4x4. Would like to drop it 3-4 inches .I can take block out of rear no problem,But the front. Can't find a kit short shocks,springs. Any help out there.
Spider

bluovaldude

Reaction score
I have a 1999 ranger 4x4. Would like to drop it 3-4 inches .I can take block out of rear no problem,But the front. Can't find a kit short shocks,springs. Any help out there.
Spider
Lowering a 4x4.... Well to be honest if you can get any drop out of it you will get only about 1-2 in if that. Not enough to make a difference.

I would suggest buying another truck that is 2wd.

But if you are dead set on lowering your 4x4 you can try loosenin up the torsion bars, that will give you some drop.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals