• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Can you educate me on tubing?

06RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
im going to fab a bumper for my truck. only thing is tubing lingo is rather french to me. i know ID and OD, but i have no idea what tubing would work for a bumper.

im thinking id use inch and a quarter or inch and a half OD. what do you guys think?

:icon_bounceblue:

railman

December 2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
DOM = Drawn Over Mandrel....molten metal is pushed through a die so the tube is uniform in strength...expensive...I personally would only use it in a roll-cage, steering linkages, or suspension links...

HREW = Hot Rolled Electrically Welded....starts out as a flat piece and is formed and welded....not as expensive...perfect for bumpers and sliders and such...always place the seam to the inside of the bend if at all possible ( hard to do with compound bends )...

.120 wall is good for most things....prefer .250 wall for sliders, links, and other high stress pieces....

l8r, John

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
railman pretty much hit it on the head. DOM is expensive... on a bumper, i wouldn't spend the money for it!

NMB2

July 2010 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 V8
Transmission
Automatic
I use crew and hrew for most cage/bumper/slider style stuff.

06RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
ok cool! ill post pictures once i figure out what im doing. im working with an idea i got from another members bumper on another fourm. i dont want to replicate it, just refine it for my likings.

thanks guys!

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
DOM = Drawn Over Mandrel....molten metal is pushed through a die so the tube is uniform in strength...expensive...I personally would only use it in a roll-cage, steering linkages, or suspension links...

HREW = Hot Rolled Electrically Welded....starts out as a flat piece and is formed and welded....not as expensive...perfect for bumpers and sliders and such...always place the seam to the inside of the bend if at all possible ( hard to do with compound bends )...

.120 wall is good for most things....prefer .250 wall for sliders, links, and other high stress pieces....

l8r, John
I do believe DOM starts out the same as HREW (flat strip formed into a circle then welded), it's then drawn over the mandrel to work harden it which eliminates the raised weld seam in the process (DOM is NOT the same thing as "seamless" tubing). DOM is typically made from higher-carbon steel than HREW, which also gives it more strength.

Agreed, HREW is fine for bumpers, sliders, etc. where occupant protection or safety isn't relying on it directly (as opposed to roll cages, suspension/steering links, etc.).

Bennybooster

EMT / Paramedic
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
This is what 140 ft of DOM looks like,

Don't be jealous:thefinger::thefinger:

railman

December 2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic

killj0y

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4 Banger
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Fix it till its broke!

DPoffroad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I do believe DOM starts out the same as HREW (flat strip formed into a circle then welded), it's then drawn over the mandrel to work harden it which eliminates the raised weld seam in the process (DOM is NOT the same thing as "seamless" tubing). DOM is typically made from higher-carbon steel than HREW, which also gives it more strength.

Agreed, HREW is fine for bumpers, sliders, etc. where occupant protection or safety isn't relying on it directly (as opposed to roll cages, suspension/steering links, etc.).
TRUE! but DOM is made out of the same steel as every other regular steel tubing! Its stronger because when its "cold worked" it tightens the molecular structure of the steel

nb11

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual

l8r, John
Good info! Sticky?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals