• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

bronco II frame question

scotiascrapiron

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 soon to be 393
Transmission
Automatic
I just installed a 302 into my bronco II and the exhaust manifold on the passenger side came down about half way across the frame and i'm not going to be able to bolt the exhaust pipe up to the manifold.How much of the top of the frame rail can I cut out,if any, and not have to worry about hittin the dirt the first time I hit a hole? Any other ideas about what to do to fix this would be welcome.These are stock manifolds from a 78 LTD.It was my donor car.

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
The best suggestion will be do go to the junkyard and find a better fitting manifold, they are out there. You can cut the frame if you wish, I wouldn't go back more than 3/4in or so. I saw a local kid here who pretty much cut out the top of the frame rail to clear headers on a V8 Ranger. I only saw that around for one summer.

Matt

scotiascrapiron

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 soon to be 393
Transmission
Automatic
thanks for the info nightmare. I got to make a junkyard run anyway. The local yard has some 8.8s i need to look into and will see about the manifolds while i'm there.

88mudder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
you can notch out the frame. Dont go overboard. Cut out just enough to clear the exhaust flange. It shouldnt be too much to cut, anyways.

rangerslim

July OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
302 v8
Transmission
Automatic
I am going thru the exact same thing......Whoever said the mustang tri-y's fit are full of sh**.....I am going to cut about 4 inches out of the passenger side header today at work and will have to bend the drivers side over to clear the front driveshaft......

Totalled

Law Enforcement
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
8 rabid gophers
Transmission
Automatic
They fit on 2wds...

rangerslim

July OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
302 v8
Transmission
Automatic
I have just massacred the passenger side of that tri-y.....hope it fits....

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
you can notch out the frame. Dont go overboard. Cut out just enough to clear the exhaust flange. It shouldnt be too much to cut, anyways.

i have before actually cut all the way to the vertical part of the fram, however i did reinforce it in that area on the under side and box it back in on top so it cleared the headers i used just fine

mudnsnow

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L EFI
Transmission
Automatic
Go on ebay and try to find one of these

D5DE-9430-BC

B24FREE

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
I am using stock cast iron manifolds from a 2000ish explorer. With Advance Adapters adapter plates and the suggested common OEM ford rubber mounts the drivers side fits great and the passanger side flanve clears the top of the frame by 1/4" - 1/2" depending how far foward you have the motor.

http://www.1aauto.com/1A/ExhaustManifolds/Ford/Explorer/1AEEM00198/44728

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://thumbs.1aauto.com/EEK/1AEEK00069.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.1aauto.com/1A/ExhaustManifolds/Ford/Explorer&h=75&w=75&sz=3&hl=en&start=12&um=1&tbnid=eVL7le33z_uhyM:&tbnh=71&tbnw=71&prev=/images?q=explorer+exhaust+manifold&um=1&hl=en&safe=off&sa=G

Last edited:

wade

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
i have before actually cut all the way to the vertical part of the fram, however i did reinforce it in that area on the under side and box it back in on top so it cleared the headers i used just fine
Same, here! But I'm welding angle iron onto the outside top of the frame to recover some of the lost rigidity.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals