• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

edelbrock headers

jester77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
rebuilding my wrecking lot 2.8 and adding a little performance- duraspark, 350 holley, stage 1 cam, now comes the exhaust. Right now I have stock exhaust manifolds- will it really add that much to switch to the edelbrock headers?? I am really not that upset about the power of the stock 2.8, but the reliability and ease of maintenance is the reason for the swaps to the holley and distributer change, but...... it's always nice to get more horsepower

small ranger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
171 c.i. of fury
Transmission
Manual
From what I have read you will want the long tube headers, with 1.25" cross section. Headers for these motors come in two sizes, 1.25" and 1.5". I have also been told it is important to match up header and exhaust ports. Just my two cents.

I still have not installed my headers . So I will be interested in hearing how yours work if you go with them.

trents

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 Durasparked, Stage 1 RV cam, block "0" decked, 350cfm Motorcraft 2150
Transmission
Manual
Long tube headers won't fit on the 4x4 Rangers. You're stuck with the shorties. You probably will get a little more power from the headers but in my opinion the cost/benefit ratio is not good. Those rascals are spendy compared to small block Ford and Chevy V8 headers.

The performance of the 2.8 is limited at every breathing point from top to bottom of the engine. Yeah, the stock exhaust is restrictive but so is the intake and so are the heads. Mods to all those other components are necessary before headers will give you much increase. One of the smarter mods if you are rebuilding is to have the valve seats enlarged and put in the valves that go with the 2.9. They will work in the 2.8 if you do that. The 2.9 has larger diameter valves than the 2.8. That would really help breathing.

alabamaranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
90 YJ Wrangler
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have long tube headers on our 4x4 84 Ranger. I need to find a new ones but can't find the brand name.

small ranger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
171 c.i. of fury
Transmission
Manual
Right like the post says, ebelbrock does not make headers for 2.8l. I know cyclone (not sure if they are still in buisness or make them anymore) made headers for us. It think the other company that made them for us is Hooker, but are now discontinued I think. Other companies make them for ford 2.8l but they are for the cars and 2x4 trucks, so a 4x4 will have clearance problems.

BWOLIVER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 durasparked
Transmission
Manual
Somebody told me a few years ago that a aerostar uses a header because of space restrictions. It is suppose to fit 4x4 2.8 no sweat. I'm sure somewhere its on the site or someone else will pipe in. Just a thought, I may be way off base. maybe I should do what the wife says and just shut up and look pretty. lol

enginepaul

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995, 2001, 200
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yes to the Aerostar headers. I think I saw pics on the previous version of this site.
I use stock because you don't need headers until you get into hotter cams and the stock manifolds helps keep the low end torque. Personal choice here.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals