• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Medano Pass Colorado

devinhal

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I'm from the San Luis Valley and wanted to go play on a trail this summer so I picked one next to my work(Great Sand Dunes). The name of the trail is Medano Pass Road and it isn't that hard of a trail. It has 9 creek crossings and a few places that you can do a little rock crawlin. This trail isn't hard but can be fun to take a first time wheeler or the girl friend.

Last edited:

getrdone52

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 V8
Transmission
Automatic
Nice that looks fun. That's like a 5 hour drive from me though.

devinhal

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
That sucks that your that far away. I took a few newbies with me just to break them into the idea and they had a blast. Working at the Sand Dunes I was able to meet people from almost every state and anyone with 4x4 wanted to do it. Even a bunch with AWD wanted to do it, but most of them need a tow rope to get back. AWD doesn't mean 4x4. My last trip I had to tow a Lexus SUV up the trail because he couldn't get out on the sandy side. Wish I had some pics of that. It don't have to be pretty, it just has to be a Ford.

crawlin91

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Awesome, That is a beautiful area, I love the Dunes.

slammer67

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Automatic
nice
I've done that trail before - try it with a foot of snow

slammer67

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Automatic
The trail I want to hit down there is Mt Blanca

devinhal

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yeah that trail with a lot of snow would be a blast. By the way I think your talkin about Lake Como Road. Now that is a beautiful area, but the road is one of the worst in the state. I call it a road because it is owned by alamosa country and classified as a county road from hell. The Forest Service wanted to shut it down so the County picked it up. People die on that road every year. I rode up this on my dirt bike this year, but there is no way that I could get my truck up it. If you plan on attempting this beast you had better have a very well made rock crawler with lockers, winch, very high clearance, and also be a very experienced wheeler. Also being bat shit crazy might help. :icon_rofl:

crawlin91

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Yep lake como road, Blanca Peak is on my bucket list, both as a 4wd trail and 14er (colorados 4th highest) and lake como is where the 4wd trail ends and the hiking begins...it is mostly dangerous because of the extreme drop offs in off camber situations. There is a memorial half way up in one of the rocks for a fellow who past away running that trail a few years back.
http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=112
This is what it looks like everytime I am down that way, menacing and dark at the top, usually raining or snowing.

and a few looking down from the summit

devinhal

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yeah it's a wicked drive and one that you won't forget. I give props to anyone who drive Como or hikes Blanca. It's an amazing feet, and one that very few of the locals even think of trying.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals