• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Working on my 1984 Ranger

1984Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 2.8L
Transmission
Manual
I was given a Ranger about 6 years ago. It ran (not in years), but had no keys, flat tires (One was a 14' donut. The other three were flat 205/75/16s), broken accessory lightings, nonworking KC lights on the front, no stereo, no seat belts, about a ton of garbage in the back, and is a manual (I never got taught how to drive stick). Needless to say, I wasn't too thrilled.

But 2011 has been a tricky year. After finding out I was going to be a father in December, I decided it was time to get that truck running. I found an ignition with a key and another vehicle, and hooked it up along with a 75 battery I was given. Now I could see if the old girl has any potential. A friend and I got her running strongly after a bottle of heet, 4 quarts of oil, and a can of starting fluid.

Because the truck had sat there so long, the tires had sunken into the ground. It took a couple hours, and a few jacks, but we got it up high enough to change over the donut. After we got through with changing the spare, we move it around.

I took it for a spin, and she's still a great truck. Soon, I got working seatbelts in her (Taken from a 88' Mazda B2600). Also, I put a set of 205/65/16s on her, and got new bulbs for the tail lights.

|

|

1984Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 2.8L
Transmission
Manual
Today, I was working on the KC lights. I tossed in new bulbs, and had to completely rewire them up.

I ripped out a cord from inside the cab that was connected to the battery. It had a fuse in it. And strung it up to the driver's side into the cab. Then I did the same with the wire from the KC lights. I then hooked it up to an actual light switch, not having a toggle switch yet.

The cords are hidden in front of the radiator.
|

Come out here, and go into the cab.
|

Run up here, and into the light switch.
|

And I flipped the switch.

Now, I am hoping to switch out the 4-speed tranny for a 5-speed, and the v6 engine for a v8.

1984Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 2.8L
Transmission
Manual
Haha. I love this truck. I don't just want to bring her back from the dead, I want to completely revamp her.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals