• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

cam and lifter kits

Bray D

2012 UA Ranger
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
at 140k miles I've got a lifter on its way out. who makes cam and lifter kits for the 3.0? I'd like a cam to open it up a bit. I've got a k&n with a flowmaster exhaust, and I opened up/polished my MAF.

almostclueless

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
dude, we just discussed this

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
nobody makes a cam for the 3.0. you would have to take your cam in and have it custom ground to your specs.

lifters can be had at any local parts store.

Bray D

2012 UA Ranger
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
obviously sludge didn't get that memo. if you're referring to the rocker thread, I read it. camcraft is the only place I know of that makes 3.0 cams. at ~200 bucks a pop there a bit pricey though. tack on the price of lifters and its gettin pretty expensive. I was wondering if anyone made cam and lifter kits. I guess not. hell if I were a cam company I wouldn't make one either the 3.0 sucks so bad ha

Hardwareman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Tell me about it. I just got an e-mail back yesterday from Camcraft regarding a cam for my 2.3. Here it is:

"Allen,

That price is for the cam only. We should have one in stock. We may have roller followers in stock. I am not sure of the price but $18-20.00 each sounds about right. Call (800) 426-2261 to order. We accept Visa, MasterCard and money orders. Thanks for your interest in Camcraft.

Charles Reichard"

The cam alone is $275!!! After the followers and lifters it's down right expensive man.

Allen

almostclueless

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Tell me about it. I just got an e-mail back yesterday from Camcraft regarding a cam for my 2.3. Here it is:

There are a lot of companies that make parts for the 2.3

Hardwareman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I know, but finding an affordable roller cam is hard. I have'nt seen any kits either. It's for the cam only and it's pricey for me.

Allen

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
at ~200 bucks a pop there a bit pricey though.
There are companies out there that do custom grinds/parts, but they can't cover every single cam they can grind for every single engine. The information would be overwhelming. Simply start asking custom manufacturers, this is how I found a set of custom made forged pistons for a 2.9L (which I have since scrapped any plans w/ that particular motor). Obviously the 2.9L is far more of an odd engine than a 3.0L.

What exactly do you mean by "opening" up? There's a lot into a good cam grind - useage (offroad, street, drag, etc), rear tire size, rear end ratio, transmission ratios, stall converter (or stick?), etc. Be prepared for this + more when you inquire.

I think you just need to do a little leg work on your end. Ask who's making stuff if they can make you a grind. This is how I found a custom length push rods, custom cam, custom pistons, etc. Get some books on camshaft theory, it's worth your while getting into performance builds. Better yet, get a 3.0L book and they'll more than likely tell you good grinds that have been used prior to you doing your own trial and error.

Pete

Bray D

2012 UA Ranger
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I know my post was pretty general, if I found a place that stocked 3.0 cams I'd call them and give them the specifics I needed.

mtnrgr-yes, the 3.0 IS A TURD. I'm glad you are satisfied with its less than adequate performance though. I dunno how many miles you've got on yours but it sounds like you've done quite a bit of work yourself to keep it alive. its a shame there's not a bigger aftermarket for "one of the best engines that Ford has ever produced." I'm sure there's some diehard 5.0 fans that would drive that statement into the ground but I won't go there

pete-I understand I'm going to have to do some asking around now. I'm curious though, what does the tire size, rear end ratio, transmission ratios, etc. have to do with a cams ability to increase/flatten torque/HP curves?

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
if your so dissatisfied with the motor than why are you putting money into it?

keep in mind that your engines hp and torque curves are determined by the engines tuning as a whole. if you grind a cam that will produce power at an RPM much lower or much higher than stock, you will be fighting your heads, intake plenum/manifold, and exhaust...which are tuned to run at around 3500 rpm stock.

Bray D

2012 UA Ranger
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
if your so dissatisfied with the motor than why are you putting money into it?
believe me, if this weren't my DD I wouldn't be. I figured I'd drop a couple hundred to keep it alive until I have the money and time to swap it out. while I was at it I thought I'd try n give her a little oomph.

since the performance cams are so hard to come by are there any stock replacements (besides ford)?

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
i dont know of anyone that stocks replacement new cams. im sure there are shops that have reman. cams.

that said, wear on a roller cam (especially on an engine that has been maintained) is almost nill. i wouldnt replace a roller cam unless it had visual wear on it.

if i were you, and had my heart set on a new cam, i would have a few local shops quote me a price to custom grind a cam. you might be suprised to find that a custom grind isnt much more expensive than a new cam.

almostclueless

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I know my post was pretty general, if I found a place that stocked 3.0 cams I'd call them and give them the specifics I needed.

mtnrgr-yes, the 3.0 IS A TURD. I'm glad you are satisfied with its less than adequate performance though. I dunno how many miles you've got on yours but it sounds like you've done quite a bit of work yourself to keep it alive. its a shame there's not a bigger aftermarket for "one of the best engines that Ford has ever produced." I'm sure there's some diehard 5.0 fans that would drive that statement into the ground but I won't go there

pete-I understand I'm going to have to do some asking around now. I'm curious though, what does the tire size, rear end ratio, transmission ratios, etc. have to do with a cams ability to increase/flatten torque/HP curves?

I completely understand your feelings. My 4X4 ranger was cheap, but it has the underpowered 3.0

I've often wondered what the 3.0 would feel like if it had a cam with very similar timings to the 4.0

Bray D

2012 UA Ranger
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Bray,

Go there is you want I don't care. 5.0 engines being put into rangers are more then a dime a dozen. That means alot of people have done this across the country. This is my truck that is used everyday so putting a v8 in there is something that I did not want to do, did not want that much weight in the ranger's front end. This has been discussed already in the past with friends and others, I chose to stay with my 3.0 & build it. Not to many people can say that they kept thier 3.0 & tore it down to rebuild like this. Yes, I do have alot of time & money in doing this to my 3.0 & I am very satisfied with this little monster. I have had this ranger since new, It has & will do anything that I give it. I know the 5.0 is a good engine, the 3.0 is still a good engine, don't want to pay the gas prices of a v8. If I want a 5.0 I'll buy a mustang.

I don't give a shit about the DIEHARD 5.0 fans, I run what I run. Just because you are not happy with yours does not mean that others have issues like you. Mine had 260,000 before the teardown, now it has over 70,000 & going strong.

your post doesn't make any sense. 5.0's are a dime a dozen for a reason-people weren't satisfied with their original motor's performance (3.0 or not). few people have chosen to rebuild their 3.0 like you have because IT'S NOT WORTH IT. as for the weight issue, this is word for word from the tech library "The 302 is only about one hundred pounds heavier than the four cylinder engines installed in Rangers from the factory". couldn't be any worse than havin your 250# buddy with you in the passenger seat. saying v8's get bad gas milage is an incorrect blanket statement. there's 300+HP engines that get over 20 MPG.

I never said I was a diehard 5.0 fan. I'll admit I don't know a whole lot about 5.0's but what I DO know is I have a 3.0 that won't hold 5th in a headwind.

gray13

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I agree that the 3.0 is a turd and I have 191,000 miles on mine and it eats a quart of oil every 180miles or so. not too happy about that. still runs good though and it doesn't smoke or leave a drop on the ground. Oh yea Tom Morana sells a cam for the 3.0 too

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals