• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How To: Calculate mpg/miles travelled with bigger than stock tires

HazardousEdge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
okay so i saw this on another forum and i thought id explain it myself...the concept is relatively simple..this is only for people who have no recalibrated their speedometer/odometer

Current size/stock size (must be in inches obviously) (in my case 31/28.9)=1.073

actual miles= Reported miles on odomter X (current/stock) (ex: 300x1.073=321.9)

321.9= actual miles travelled

Mpg= actual miles / amount of gas you put in
(321.9/19)=16.9 miles per gallon

btw i really did search for this lol

ofc you have to account for ur tires wearing down if you want an EXACT measurement and offroading miles dont count cuz of wheel spin

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
One thing I have done on a couple of 200 mile interstate runs is just to check how accurate the odometer is using the mile markers. Mustang is about .5% accurate and the Rangers are all right around 1-1.5%. Got to have a good accurate start to the calculations other wise that math is just paper work. I'm kind of sad so many people have no crasp of math like that today.
Dave of the Nord

HazardousEdge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
yeah...fml because i never checked the accuracy with the stock tires even tho i had the means of checking lol oh well :( and we dont have that many mile markers in california unless youre on a loop of some sort

jhammel85

Awesome. Thanks for posting this! I want to give this a shot at my next fill up.

jhammel85

By the way, I used part of that formula to find out how many extra miles my truck has actually gone since I added bigger tires. The owner before me had somewhat bigger tires than stock under it too. so I've been curious to see what the actual milage is.

Here is an example for anyone who's curious (using the TS's numbers):

Take your stock tire in inches and new tires in inches -- (31/28.9)=1.073.
Multiply your odometer (or like this, a guess as to how long it's had these tires) -- 50,000

50,000*1.073 = 53,650.

It's not perfect but it might help if you were wondering about it like I have been. My truck went from 195's to 215's for about 44K before I added my 30's on it, according to receipts from the previous owner.

HazardousEdge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
yeah i have the miles written down for when i added the 31's, im hoping when i have it recalibrated they can just put that number in there.....can they?

HazardousEdge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
anyone else ? lol

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals