• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

gearing for a 44 and 9"

hummer_maxxer

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
hey guys, im new here and i plan on putting a fullsize 44 and 9" under my ranger, 4 inch lidt, 3 inch body lift and cut out the fenders if i have too. i want to put some 35 inch boggers or some 37 inch iroks and i was wondering what kinde of gearing i should put, il be running a welded front and rear. I have the stock 2.9l in it right now and only plan on putting a 302 next year. what should I run for gearing??

hitech_hick

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
What are you planning on doing with this rig? I am assuming that it will be offroad only, I would run deep if it were me, 5.13's or so...

hick

hummer_maxxer

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
its gona be alot of mudding with some trail ridding and a little rock crawling, lol, prety mch everyhting, and its gona be offroad only.

Evan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
its gona be alot of mudding with some trail ridding and a little rock crawling, lol, prety mch everyhting, and its gona be offroad only.

You want to go with 5.13s.

sweetsride

Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
i am running 5.13 in mine, with a 2.9L, and 36" tires. it will bring it almost back to stock but with a little more bottom end on it.

Later
Kris

hummer_maxxer

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
so with 5.13s i should be able to spin the tires in mud, remember im gona be locking the front and rear?

sweetsride

Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
yes, 5.13 you will spin the tires in the mud, i can spin mine in 1st, 2nd and
3rd gear in the mud.

Kris

hummer_maxxer

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
hey sweetsride,your talking about 4 low right?

sweetsride

Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
ya, in 4lo

later
Kris

036speed

02/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
F-250
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
For you guys that are running the 5.13s on a 2.9 with 35s. what kinda rpms do you see on the highway? thats if you drive on the highway.
I am bulding mine to be a weekend wheeler and a winter truck. I would like to drive it daily, but if not thats fine

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
just go 5.89's...there's no such thing as too much gearing!!:yahoo: I'd actually run 5.38's, this way your not running too much strain on the motor, but then again, I like power and lots of gearing too...
SVT

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
just go 5.89's...there's no such thing as too much gearing!!:yahoo: I'd actually run 5.38's, SVT
I'd only go as low as 5.13's, any lower and your not gonna be getting as full of tooth contact pattern as possible which can lead to gear failure.

Branger2B

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/86
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
please do yourself a favor and skip the dana44/9inch and just get yourself some 60s' especially if you plan on running 37'' rubber and fullsize axles anyway, ive gone threw 4 sets of axle shafts 1 set was chromo, stripped 2 ring gears and a lockrite locker,blew the side off a wheel hub. for the money ive put into the 44 i could have had a built 60 and not broke as much if any , not telling you what to or pickin ur sheit apart im just speaking from experience, ive ripped the dana 44 out now and i only had 4 good runs on it, broke everytime with 38'' boggers and a 4.0L v6, forget runnin it with the v8, and as far as gearing goes if u accually drive it on the street dont go to low.. (numerically higher) I ran 4:10's on the street with 38's and had more than enough power, and i could do steady 110kmh on the highway in 5th at 2000rpm.. for wheeling/DD street machine with 37's id say 4:56 or 4:88, on the other hand if its dirt king then then id go a little lower like 5:13 or 5:38.. the lower the gear the smaller the pinion gets. anyways, good luck with the project, im sure no matter what you will have lots fun with it, and turn alot of wrench. you should definatly start a build thread on this beast to be. :icon_welder:

Last edited:

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
i only had 4 good runs on it, broke everytime with 38'' boggers and a 4.0L v6
Maybe it's not the parts, but the driver? :icon_twisted:

I'm locked front and rear, and ran 35" Krawlers and now 37's and go wheelin 1-2 times a month and have been for the last 2 years or so. And wheelin here isn't an hr or two adventure, it's a morning to night excursion, many times only getting off the trail's after midnight. I have yet to have a failure in my D44 and I'm running 30+ yr old 260 jointed shafts, and only got my first real breakage this weekend when I pretzeled my rear driveshaft humping a 4' ledge after sliding off the intended line.

This isn't pirate, and not everyone need's 60's. Unless you plan on going pedal down all the time there should be no reason why a chromo'd D44 shouldn't hold 35/37's under an RBV.

Last edited:

Branger2B

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/86
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
lol you really put all that work in to a "wheeler" just to baby it, do you take it to town with mom to buy shoes or go wheelin? , I like reliability and big tires with dana 44, lockers , and hardcore wheelin just dont add up, for me any ways, heres a video of me breaking a dana 44 chromo shaft and a lockrite locker in 1.5 minutes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OCv1wCGK-s

its up to the owner to decide what he wants to do and what size tire he is goin to run. u can get by with 35's fine but 37's are pushin it to wheel with. all i did was provide advise from personal experience, any normal minded person would prefer to have it slightly overkill than "good enough" my decision to use a dana 44 to wheel with 38's HAS left me in the bush wrenching till 5am in the rain.

For the record i was only running 410's and no doubler, more gear reduction (5:13's or doubler ect.) is only harder on the axles and results in better chance of breakage.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals