• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

jeep xj front dana 30 swap?

lzarnch

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 & 1986
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.9l & 408ci
Transmission
Manual
has anyone done this? i looked in the tech library couldnt find anything? if youve done this let me know? im looking foward to do this, so...

hitech_hick

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
What are your plans for this rig? It can be done, it has been done, the question remains "is it right for you?"

hick

lzarnch

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 & 1986
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.9l & 408ci
Transmission
Manual
well i plan leaving 33's under it for now unitl i have everything to do the complete 1/2 ton drivetrain (302, d44, 9in, c6, np205) but i was looking into it and to make a d30 have manuel hubs it cost like $1,300, and then to put the better axles and u-joints, another $500-$600, then to re gear it another $250, then a locker another $500.... i coult get a d60 for that much and not worry about anything over 33's

lzarnch

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 & 1986
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.9l & 408ci
Transmission
Manual
link didnt work..

JFA_Spyderman

Law Enforcement
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Yo,
There is deffinatley something to be said for doing it right the first time. If you have an end goal in mind, then go for it. But you don't want to dump a bunch of money into something that you are gonna replace in a few months anyway.

Evan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
Here is my humble opinion on a D30 swap:

1. If you already have a D35: You're out of your mind. The D30 is a fairly large downgrade from the D35. Complete waste of money.

2. If you have a D28: The D30 will be an upgrade, but why not swap in a D35 TTB instead? It's stronger, and it's an easier and cheaper swap. If you're going to spend time and money on a SAS, why not go with a 44 or a 60 and get some bang for your buck and return on all the hard work?

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15

c_note

September 2009 OTOM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger/Explorer
Engine Size
4.0 sohc
Transmission
Manual
ima get started pretty soon on the swap. i piecing everything together before i start tearng things apart. the only thing i really need to figure out is if the xj steering box will work but i can can also use a toyota box.

hitech_hick

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
ima get started pretty soon on the swap. i piecing everything together before i start tearng things apart. the only thing i really need to figure out is if the xj steering box will work but i can can also use a toyota box.
What is wrong with a Ranger steering box?

hick

JFA_Spyderman

Law Enforcement
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Yo,
IIRC, the newer rangers (98+??) used a rack and pinion steering setup as opposed to a traditional steering gearbox.

c_note

September 2009 OTOM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger/Explorer
Engine Size
4.0 sohc
Transmission
Manual
Yo,
IIRC, the newer rangers (98+??) used a rack and pinion steering setup as opposed to a traditional steering gearbox.
yes indeed! and from what i have researched, its best to use a steering box that goes on the outside of the frame due to space. i think i can make the xj box work tho. well see!

hitech_hick

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
well i plan leaving 33's under it for now unitl i have everything to do the complete 1/2 ton drivetrain (302, d44, 9in, c6, np205) but i was looking into it and to make a d30 have manuel hubs it cost like $1,300, and then to put the better axles and u-joints, another $500-$600, then to re gear it another $250, then a locker another $500.... i coult get a d60 for that much and not worry about anything over 33's
If you are looking at this as a temporary swap then the best advice I can give it to keep it simple. Find a HP D30 with 4.10's, swap in junkyard shafts and x760 series u-joints if it doesn't already have them, if you need more traction, throw a lunch box locker in it, and if you are worried about the housing, truss it and weld some scrap onto the diff cover as armor. With everything that I have listed, you should have less than $500 into the axle, including the cost of the axle and it should work just fine for 33's. The law of diminishing returns has a quite steep curve with the Dana 30, putting much more into it than what I listed is really a waste. Fourwheeler Magazine has an article in their latest issue about a low-buck D30 build that is pushing around 33's, you might want to have a look at it for a few ideas. Hopefully this gives you a few ideas, personally I wouldn't waste my time with a D30 (mostly because I don't have a whole lot of time to waste right now) but that doesn't mean that this setup won't work for you. Good luck...

hick

mkpecor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger 4x4
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
some whare on here i was reading it is not realy worth it at all, i was thinkin about doin the d30 and changed my mind when i was doon reading the post, so i hunted down a D35/8.8 out of a 92 explorer, since you have a 86 BII the D35 will go in so easy, its six boults, and you would have a way stronger set up, go on craig slist and put in ford explorer parts, thats what i did and got the D35 hub to hub/ 8.8 drum to drum/ leaf springs and all tie rods for $150 so just look around you will find them.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals