• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Passenger Handle Bar/Grab Bar

Foxracin

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Anybody ever done one of these in a Explorer/Ranger without a internal cage?

I really need to do one before my interior gets tore all to hell by passengers. lol Done had 2 of the handles on the roof completely ripped off, numerous door handles broke off, and actually had the window pushed out of the door on time, and the seat broke. I must be a good driver.

Here is the damage from last night. lol

So I need to add something for them to hang on too. I looked in the glove box area today and theres not a steel tube going across like some dashes have and I would rather have it mounted to something solid. Anybody got any ideas? Only thing I can come up with is try to weld it straight to the firewall.

disciplerocks

July 2011 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Why not add a tube behind the dash?

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
what if something came up off the floor, like a u-shaped bar directly in front of the seat

rip out the headliner and weld something directly to the roof

Foxracin

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Though about coming off the floor but dont like that idea. It would be in the way.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
it would a little bit, you wouldnt be able to move the seat up either, unless you routed it into the sliding mechanism of the seat.

what about 2 levers on either side of the seat that you could pull up and lock into place? that might be more stable than an o-shit handle.

Foxracin

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Too much trouble for me that way. I want something simple that doesnt move. If it moves it will get broken. lol Leep the idea coming though.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
i think that's it. i'm going from memory on what the inside of a early 90's EX looks like. i guess the only real option is gonna be to chop the top and build a cage.

oh wait, what about a handle to on either side of the console between the seat and the console? weld that bitch to the floor, wont be in the way and will still be strong

Foxracin

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Its not getting a internal cage. Going to do a external so that why Im not going that route.

Probably wouldnt be real comfortable hanging on to on the side like that. Its going to get seats and 5 point harnesses sometime so probably wouldnt be able to grab ahold of it strapped in.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
Best bet is racing seat belts and install them the right way. I added them to my little sister's Baja bug I built for her awhile back. With the 165 hp Empi motor I put in for her, this bug hauls ass. I even added a 5 speed Porsche 914 tranny to it. I put in Simpson saftey harnesses and you will not move around in the bucket seats when strapped in. It is cheaper then a roll bar cage and trying to add all those hand/rail grips. Anybody riding with you can just hold on to the belts when you get into a crazy position or a tight hard turn in the dirt or rocks.

Look into that idea, Bro!!! Stay safe!!!

ForOffRoadDriving

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
^ what he said, if youre passengers are bouncing around that much its time to look further into why. i think if you tie the seat frames into your exo somehow (or even just to the frame with cross bars under the cab) then youll have a sturdy spot to mount your seats w/ harnesses and then maybe youre grab handles would survive. i added some extra handles in my truck so the gf could get in and out but they arent seeing the same kind of force applied to them as yours.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals