• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

97-03 F-150 Edge Evolution

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Dad bought a plow down in Kansas, so we took my 2002 F-150 down to get it with a 18' car trailer. I threw my old tires on and swiped the tuner out of my brother's '97 to adjust the speedo, and set it on tow/haul.

It shifted absolutly fabulous compared to stock, much quicker and more cooridinated feeling. Also seemed to run out in each gear longer when you wanted it to but still felt right when you didn't. As can be expected I didn't notice a big difference power aside from switching tires but the shifted really improved the feel of the truck.

Coming back thru norther Kansas on hwy 36 (which is hillier than I expected) running about 50/50 with the OD and off I got 13mpg, which I thought was pretty good.

Long story short, I think am going to get one, dunno when but I like it. Need an exhaust and to get some rust fixed first though.

As a side note, on a 95 degree day, IAT was never more than 10 hotter than the thermometer on the truck. Usually was around 5 degrees warmer... a minimal difference IMO. It has the stock intake with the "Gotts" mod, it still pulls air from the stock location in the DS fender.

It is a Case "SR" 4-14 semi-mounted plow, no idea what it weighs but it is probably the lightest thing I have hauled aside from the empty trailer, maybe 1000lb :icon_confused:

BeaterMan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8, 4.6, 5.0
Transmission
Manual
The tuners really help out the gassers with firmer shifts and transmission functions. I have a superchips max tuner on my 97 4.6 f150 and it helps out alot when towing heavy loads. Havnt got around to using the "tow performance" feature yet but hopin to soon on the next dirt biking trip. Im happy with the superchips but I like the edge much better with all the gauges and displays showing what the engine is doing.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The tuners really help out the gassers with firmer shifts and transmission functions. I have a superchips max tuner on my 97 4.6 f150 and it helps out alot when towing heavy loads. Havnt got around to using the "tow performance" feature yet but hopin to soon on the next dirt biking trip. Im happy with the superchips but I like the edge much better with all the gauges and displays showing what the engine is doing.
The gauges are cool, I had the speedo, engine temp, IAT and engine load on display. Only real complaint is that it doesn't show trans temp... aside from a real number for the engine temp the rest are kind of redundant or not a big deal to know after a while.

I was happy with the intake temp just to check it, kinda highlights how useless a cold air intake is.

Kinda bummed, I go to check prices for giggles and it seems to have been discontinued, but since the pod looks kinda stupid and the gauges are for the most part redundant it looks like a different tuner would be in order. They have some new thing for $589... which is far from worth it to me.

Last edited:

BeaterMan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8, 4.6, 5.0
Transmission
Manual
Check craigslist. I picked up my superchips, vin unlocked, for 70$. Guy had a add up saying make offer. I called him and asked if he would take $50 he said 70$ and its mine. Couldn't pass up an offer like that. Guess all the stars must have been aligned for me that day.

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Check craigslist. I picked up my superchips, vin unlocked, for 70$. Guy had a add up saying make offer. I called him and asked if he would take $50 he said 70$ and its mine. Couldn't pass up an offer like that. Guess all the stars must have been aligned for me that day.
If I had a diesel it would be cake to find a used one. For a gasser... not so much.

I troll craigslist for a variety of things often, never have seen a tuner for my truck.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals