• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Are Polyurethane Bushings worth the extra bit of cash?

RhainyC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
As the title asks, I am wondering if I should go ahead and pay the extra bit to have the polyurethane radius arm bushings instead of the standard replacements? And what about other replacements in polyurethane?

Ideas, comments...?

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
If its a street driven truck the polys will be a better choice, and won't wear out as fast. I run the rubber bushings in mine simply because you get more flex out the rubber ones even tho they wear faster, its a trade off i'm willing to put up with.

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
for a daily driver i would go with the poly for sure. i have them in my truck (everywhere possible other than body mounts and only because i havent replaced them yet) and im happy. they claim you will notice more road vibrations because they are stiffer but they also say it will handle better. i dont know if i noticed any difference either way.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Extra price? What extra price? Poly radius arm bushings are cheap. Duff used to sell them for $17/set. Shop around. Sometimes people try to sell you all the steel hardware as well. You don't need this unless yours are gone. Which is fairly unlikely.

Poly bushings may be a bit rougher, and perhaps noisier. But not all that significantly. They do last longer, but rubber bushings will last quite some time as well. Your originals lasted 17 years, after all!

RhainyC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
MAKG et al,

Thanks for the input, I mentioned extra cost due to shopping around online only...I can probably get a decent deal locally, though I honestly haven't checked yet. I plan on getting the linkage first, then the bushings the following payday...can you tell money is a wee bit tight?

So with all the folks I have spoken with saying I should do the poly, that is definitely the way I will go. Someone mentionted them needing lubricant, whereas rubber ones didn't...I don't know much about this aspect, but I will do my research and make sure I take care of them, once they are installed.

This truck will probably be my last vehicle unless I win the lotto or something, so I am taking the best possible care of her that I can...

Thanks folks! :D

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
Some guys like to install then with some white lithium grease to help stop any squeaking that might happen, I would think that this would just attract more dirt and wear them out faster tho....

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I like to lubricate them with Nev-R-Seez. It tolerates getting wet quite a lot better than lithium grease.

Rybester

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5l
Transmission
Manual
this is an old thread I realize, but I was installing the DJM 2/3 drop and I figured while I was under there I'd throw in some poly bushings as well, so like any good consumer, I decided to do some research first. Found on engergy suspensions website (see the link) that there is a difference between the red and black bushings they sell. http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11161
The black bushing are impregnated with graphite to self lubricate, reducing the need to use additional lube.

Last edited:

Turtlez06

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Poly Urethane

I put in the complete energy suspension kit in my Ranger. That is body mounts, complete front end, tranny mount, sway bars. You need to use the lube provided other wise it will squeek ALOT. It will not attract dirt, the joints are solid. Massive difference in handling. I even got the poly spring perches. They are the 2inch leveling lift ones but they could not allign my truck after, so I cut them down. Seriously they are as cheap as new rubber, and much better. And really not hard to put in.:icon_thumby:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals